Anyone successfully slot port Lascala ?

jason str

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my ideas is to do the bass mod with a slot port. Well, you still make the whole cabinet bigger that way.

Or... building from scratch... have the top section enclosed with the top of the doghouse open into it, and build a slot port in the point of the doghouse (facing the front). I have the size or the slot around here somewhere...

Maybe i will try the rear port setup and see how it goes, i guess the woofer will need to be removed and a hole will need to be cut into the top of the cabinet from what i see correct ?

Would there be a better choice of woofers for the ported cabinet or is the stock K-33 sufficient ? If i need to enter the cabinet anyways i figured to ask beforehand.

What are the vertical size limitations of the ported box? Must it be 10", or is there a certain volume ratio that must be maintained? I am thinkin of trying this, but have a vertical limitation due to a video screen.

I had thought of making an L shaped box, that would make the LS deeper, but not add 10 inches to the height. I had planned on a slot port. The 10 inches is abotu what you would have if your enclosed the back and opened up the doghouse. No increase in height over the stock LS.

I plan on putting a Trachorn in the LaS so I will be reducing the available 'air' volume in the top. Can one get away with say an 8" box? Will less than 10" reduce the bass change in way that makes it not practical?

Since I will be making modifications anyway in order to fit the Trachorn, perhaps I should go the route of opening the top of the dog house and closing the back. With a Trachorn in there, do you experts think this will still work?

As always, thank you for your help.

I plan on putting a Trachorn in the LaS so I will be reducing the available 'air' volume in the top. Can one get away with say an 8" box? Will less than 10" reduce the bass change in way that makes it not practical?

It's the volume that is of primary concern here.

You could make an 8" box that stuck out a few inches to the front or side or back and it should work fine.

Rudy,

This has been posted many times, a part of DJK's original posts:

I'm looking for a total net volume of about 4.8 cu ft. I figure the stock back volume is about 2.25 cu ft. Call it an internal height of about 9" (22.5 X 22.5 X 8.70 = 4404 cu in = 2.55 cu ft). Two 4" ID by 10" long ports displace about .15 cu ft so 10" outside is close enough.

His other method was to enclose the back of an LS, opening up the top of the doghouse. That is ten inches high, so you would take the volume of the horns and drivers out. Still close enough. Some light stuffing...

Bruce

Bruce: I have decided to go with a box on bottom 23x32x6 which should be very close to the correct volume. Based on my reading I will use two 7" long 4" ID tubes.

Does that box need fiberglass or anything in it? I notice you said ...light stuffing. Could you be more specific for us novices?

One other question. I saw pictures of this mod with Cornwall 'like' rectangular ports. Any advantages or disadvantages of this type of port? Whare ris the opening size requirements for the rectangular port? With this design is there any change to the interior of the box?

Thanks again for humoring me.