Anyone successfully slot port Lascala ?

jason str

Well done...that looks great.

I too found a huge difference with the ALK's, appreciate your comments on the Trachorns....that's the difference I am looking for, so can't wait to fire them up.

Love the look of your music room....what a great place to sit down, relax & enjoy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you will be very pleased with the Trachorns. I will be interested to hear your impressions of the change as compared to the change when you put in the Universals.

Thanks for the kind words. That is my man cave besides the garage and workshop. Once I listed to several movies, I will better be able to judge the performance of the LaS with the modification.

• 8 months later...
Guest David H

I was thinking of doing something similar, but I plan to incorporate a percentage of air space from the mid/tweeter enclosure for additional volume.

post-24405-13819585165254_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I am still working on the volume and port, taking into consideration horn size, and hope I can get it close.

Because the Fastrac horn is much shallower than the k-400 I can inset the rear pannel to take up the additional un-needed volume.

Dave.

post-24405-13819585165564_thumb.jpg

I am still working on the volume and port, taking into consideration horn size, and hope I can get it close.

Because the Fastrac horn is much shallower than the k-400 I can inset the rear pannel to take up the additional un-needed volume.

Dave.

Great idea Dave! Very easy to do when building new too.

Can the woofer be accessed through the bottom of the new ported area, or does the whole ported area have to come off?

How much of a hole is needed between the top of the woofer chamber and the tophat area?

Greg

Guest David H

Great idea Dave! Very easy to do when building new too.

Can the woofer be accessed through the bottom of the new ported area, or does the whole ported area have to come off? Woofer can be accessed by removing the lower cover and port area or by removing the HF section.

How much of a hole is needed between the top of the woofer chamber and the tophat area? I am making it the same size as the woofer cutout on bottom.

New construction might have been easier, but these beater Lascala's deserve a second chance at life.

post-24405-1381958524894_thumb.jpg

Dave.

Dave,

Does your picture show that the network would be mounted outside in the recessed panel?

Guest David H

Dave,

It looks like the high frequency section got cut off. Are you bulding new section?

I am building a new top section, and will be porting into that section so I can utilize that volume.

The crossovers mouted on the outside is an option I am considering, will be easy to make changes.

Dave.

Guest David H

You draw better than I do. How about flush mounting the tweeter and mid horn?

Is there any other way? Flush mount is my plan, unless I get lazy.

Guest David H

Pete another thought for porting a Lascala is to add the decorative feet and fire two 4 X 7 round ports into the floor and port into the HF section.

That may be the cleanest way to port yet.

Just bouncing ideas.

Dave

Pete another thought for porting a Lascala is to add the decorative feet and fire two 4 X 7 round ports into the floor and port into the HF section.

That may be the cleanest way to port yet.

Just bouncing ideas.

Dave

You know about the "one port diameter from port end to any obstruction" rule, yes? I ask because it implies some longish legs if you want to downfire the ports.

Guest David H

You know about the "one port diameter from port end to any obstruction" rule, yes? I ask because it implies some longish legs if you want to downfire the ports.

just food for thought.

Ports often are placed in the front baffle, and may thus transmit unwanted midrange frequencies reflected from within the box. If poorly designed, a port may also generate "wind noise" or "chuffing", due to turbulence around the port openings at high air speeds. Enclosures with a rear facing port mask these effects to some extent, but they cannot be placed directly against a wall without causing audible problems. They require some free space around the port so they can perform as intended. Poor room placement can significantly reduce the performance of this type of loudspeaker. Some manufacturers incorporate a floor-facing port within the speaker stand or base, offering predictable and repeatable port performance within the design constraints.

Dave.