Empty Heresy Cabinets

BEC

Bob,

What driver did you use with those horns?

Where is the crossover point?

Noah

Selenium D220Ti with Selenium HM25-25 horn. Crossover at 1500hz. My new prototype 12 inch woofer that will go that high in that cabinet.

Bob

I have been kicking around the idea of doing much the same thing.

In fact, I picked up a pair of these:

Eminence Professional Compression Midrange Driver PSD 2002 for KI-362

The specs seem good...

What do you think? Have you ever heard it?

N

I wish Eminence had a driver I could use. I am an Eminence dealer and get good prices.

But, look at the graph for the PSD 2002. Makes it to about 14khz and drops off like a rock. Then look at the Selenium driver's graph. Gets to 20khz easy.

Bob

P.S. Just in case someone is getting ready to cut up a Heresy cabinet and do this 2-way thing to it. The K-22 and K-24 will not work for this. They will not go high enough.

P.S. Just in case someone is getting ready to cut up a Heresy cabinet and do this 2-way thing to it. The K-22 and K-24 will not work for this. They will not go high enough.

What about a JBL 2025H ?

It's 8ohm and IIRC goes up to around 2.5k

Not sure if it's specs would work in that size box though.

What about a JBL 2025H ?

It's 8ohm and IIRC goes up to around 2.5k

Not sure if it's specs would work in that size box though.

Best way to know is to curve it in the box to see what it does. I tried the K-24 in a Heresy cabinet and found it to drop off rapidly at about 800 hz. I found that our new CW1228 woofer went much higher, to around 1800 pretty flat. That test gave me the idea of trying a 2-way in the Heresy box.

Bob

The Eminence PSD 2002 is the driver used by Klipsch, known as the K65, in the KP-262, KP-302, KP-3002, and KSM-15-II and was used by Klipsch with a 800Hz crossover and sounds quite good.

In the KP-262, the 12" K-42 woofer was paired with the K65 (Eminence PSD 2002) for a great sounding little speaker.

What do they sound like??!! How about a comparison to a H1 or 2? Come on Bob, give it up.

OK, about the sound. Just like about every time I have a chance to compare horns, I would pick the sound of the larger horn. Same here, the larger horn just puts out a fuller sound, but of course it is in this case covering a much larger frequency range covered by two horns in the Heresy. I listened to the 2-way several hours yesterday. Then did a crossover modification, so it was again like a new speaker to me. I don't have much time in with the new crossover tweak and then went to the comparison to the Heresy 1s. Even with the same size box, these are pretty different sounding speakers. I guess that makes sense. They have nothing but cabinet in common. No common drivers or crossovers.

I am pretty sure I need to tweak some more on the crossovers to bring these into better balance. I think I will go to 12 db per octave (from the 6db I have in there now) because the woofer is still going pretty strong at the 1500hz crossover point I have selected. I think they are still a bit midrange heavy even though I have the HF driver attenuated 12dbs.

Perhaps also, I might get one of these out to the simi-anechoic outside test corner for some curves.

Bob

post-9312-13819500028506_thumb.jpg

I thought Dee's PA cabinets for the church were something that Tony whipped up for him- but they looked like a 2-way Heresy.

Pretty cool Bob, let's have a listener's reports when you can!

Yes, Tony's speakers were inspired by the KP designs and used the K65 HF along with an 8ohm Eminence Beta 12.

The cabs are ported and a bit larger than Heresy cabs.

They sound fabulous.

I was talking with Tony today and we are hoping to make a road trip to Mr. Bob's in the next couple of weeks.

neato project, inventing something similar to KP262, but I'd have tough time cutting into a pair of decorators.. just because.

thanks for the listening test Bob. Out here I've lined up HIP, KP250, H and KP201 as well as doing a test on other pro 12" 2 & 3 ways the KP262, KP250, KSM12II and KP201. Interesting results. The ported designs always lose due to lack of bass, the two ways sound better on vocals. The KP262 and KSM12 are probably the best two way 12" pro speakers Klipsch ever made imho.

M