Empty Heresy Cabinets

BEC

Bob, any more news on updates?

Dee,

We have these thing working pretty good. I am still messing with the crossover. I came up with a new design to try. Michael built one of the new crossovers yesterday and I hope we have time to try that this afternoon. I like simple crossovers but this ain't going to be one.

Bob

hmm. Roy Delgado will be proud.

You've gone over to the dark side.

Yeah, pretty extreme for me on the crossover. Here is the one we are about to try out. Caught Michael on his way out with it and got a picture.

Bob

post-9312-13819500075772_thumb.jpg

very cool looking network.

does it have a widow-maker feature with 110 current?

Yes, but the hum may kill you first. Actually, it is about 100 ft from the shop to the outside corner where the speaker is and we have a nice 100 ft. extension cord and we needed speaker wire long enough to reach and.....

Bob

Guest David H

Response looks excellent, and the tweeter is impressive at 19k+. Looks like you have a winner.

Then again if the response is good and it sounds bad...well you know.

I are pretty happy with how we have these speakers working now. The 3rd shot at the crossover seems to put everything in balance nicely. We have in a few hours of listening and like what we hear. These may have a cabinet in common with the Heresy, but the sound is quite different. We have them on an AB comparator switch with a pair of Heresy 1s. Now we need some other ears to show up here to give opinions.

This is really our first shot at putting together a set of speakers from scratch. The woofer is a completely new design and the Selenium HF driver was new to us. We had to start this out with raw curves in the box of both drivers without crossovers then figure out how to balance output and frequency response with a new crossover design. It took three tries at the crossover to get it right. Where we ended up was with a 4th order on the woofer and 2nd order on the HF.

Bob Crites

But, how do they smell?

Well the cabinets are old and have that sort of "earthy" or musty bouquet. Sort of like aged hay and wet Irish Setter. Of course this combines with the "new" smell of the drivers which reminds of, but to a lesser degree, that typical "new car" smell. I would rate this smell closer to a Toyota smell rather than that of a VW or Mercedes. None of these aromas are very strong, for instance, after sniffing old sneakers for five minutes, I had to sniff the speakers for a good 10 minutes before I could even detect the bouquet.

Bob

But, how do they smell?

Well the cabinets are old and have that sort of "earthy" or musty bouquet. Sort of like aged hay and wet Irish Setter. Of course this combines with the "new" smell of the drivers which reminds of, but to a lesser degree, that typical "new car" smell. I would rate this smell closer to a Toyota smell rather than that of a VW or Mercedes. None of these aromas are very strong, for instance, after sniffing old sneakers for five minutes, I had to sniff the speakers for a good 10 minutes before I could even detect the bouquet.

Bob

When I'm doing important nasal testing I use a Tibetan Neti Pot to cleanse my olfactory palate.

You might want to look into getting one.

But, how do they smell?

Bob

When I'm doing important nasal testing I use a Tibetan Neti Pot to cleanse my olfactory palate.

You might want to look into getting one.

I have suffered chronic allergies and sinus problems for years. The neti pot has helped tremendously.

Finally, a Neti Pot post (sorry for the sidetrack, Bob). I've been using the pot daily for 8 years now, same problem as you Seti. It's kept me off the operating table. And BTW, you do not want nasal surgery for chronic sinusitis (depending on cicumstances of course). Every one I know who's had it has regressed. Lots of scar tissue. Maybe we just have terrible nasal surgeons.