Receiver shutoff...

JDHenn05

Does anyone know the reason for a receiver shutting off when getting to high levels. It works great until you want to listen in "concert mode." I am currently using a Yamaha rx-v665, and only running a sub-10 and C-2. I'm currently using 16 gauge radio shack wiring. Is the C-2 trying to pull too much power from the receiver, and at 95 WPC not receiving enough and shutting down. Or is it that the 16 gauge speaker wiring is not large enough to crank that kind of volume. I am in no way even close to an amateur at this, so dumb it up for me please. I know Centers aren't supposed to get as loud as floorstanding speakers, but i think it should get louder than what it currently gets. Does the receiver WPC have to be larger than the 100 w power handling on the speaker in order to get the most out of it? May sound like a dumb question but i have no idea... I'm eventually goin for the RF-7's too, so getting the Emotiva XPA-2 or 3 is a definite, but not now.

I'm thinking of either getting a larger receiver (Denon 2310ci), an Emotiva XPA-3 for more power, or just replacing the 16 gauge wiring with 12 gauge wiring... help if anyone knows.

help plz

Most likely your are driving too hard, the receiver just can't keep up. If you want to play loud you'll need some power. Most receivers just can't do it. Even though 100 wpc sounds like a lot of power, it's only 3db from 50 watts and another 3db from 25 watts. If you want to play (loud) you have to pay!

Thanx, Russ

I had a similar experience with a HK receiver once. I started by disconnecting each speaker in my 7.1 set up untill I narrowed my problem to one of my ft. mains. After checking the speaker's external wiring and finding it to be OK, I started removing the drivers and examining them one by one. On one of the bass drivers, the leads going from the terminal to the spider, were bent toward each other as they headed inward to the spider. When I cranked it up, the driver excursion caused the leads to touch and put the speaker in the protect mode. During normal to moderate listening, the drivers didn't move enough to give me a problem. I bent the leads away from each other and never had another problem.

Does anyone know the reason for a receiver shutting off when getting to high levels. It works great until you want to listen in "concert mode." I am currently using a Yamaha rx-v665, and only running a sub-10 and C-2. I'm currently using 16 gauge radio shack wiring. Is the C-2 trying to pull too much power from the receiver, and at 95 WPC not receiving enough and shutting down. Or is it that the 16 gauge speaker wiring is not large enough to crank that kind of volume. I am in no way even close to an amateur at this, so dumb it up for me please. I know Centers aren't supposed to get as loud as floorstanding speakers, but i think it should get louder than what it currently gets. Does the receiver WPC have to be larger than the 100 w power handling on the speaker in order to get the most out of it? May sound like a dumb question but i have no idea... I'm eventually goin for the RF-7's too, so getting the Emotiva XPA-2 or 3 is a definite, but not now.

I'm thinking of either getting a larger receiver (Denon 2310ci), an Emotiva XPA-3 for more power, or just replacing the 16 gauge wiring with 12 gauge wiring... help if anyone knows.

help plz

It is NOT the size of the wire. Bigger wilre will lower the total resistance and ALLOW more current to flow, making the amp section more likely to shut down.

There are just a few reasons for the protection circuit to shut down the receiver. That's over voltage inside, over current due to low speaker impedance and in a sophisticated amp, high temp. Over-current is the most likely. Others here have stated Yamaha amps have an impedance switch on the rear. Where is yours set? I don't know which "C-2" you have, but the typical dual woofer center is closer to 4 ohms than 8.

OTOH, if you hear ANY harshness or brittleness as you turn up the volume, you just began to clip the amp, no matter how disappointingly quiet it is. Turn it down.

The 'C-2' is the Synergy model, if that's what you were asking, not sure how many C-2 are out there (i'm very new...lol). My receiver does allow me to switch the impedance from 8 to 6. I just have to run it through advanced set-up and change it. My receiver gets fairly hot to begin with at low levels, could this be the reason. Does impedance have anything to do with my receiver getting very warm. If I change this setting, will I have to change it back to 8ohm once i get the F-3's. I'm beginning to believe Yamaha makes a terrible receiver (you get what you pay for i guess). My brother has an rx-v463 and has the same problem using his Synergy F-2's. My friend has the F-3's with an Onkyo and has no problems.

Do you only have the C-2 and subwoofer hooked up to your receiver? That's probably your problem right there. Unless you are able to turn off all the speakers other than your center speaker in your receiver's menu its going to think that there are speakers hooked up to it. Some receivers perform ok under these conditions, some don't. It sounds like yours doesn't.

Check within your receiver's various menus to see if you can shut off output to the front main speakers (and all surround speakers, if you haven't already done so). See what happens then.

Also, if you do only have the C2 and Sub-12, you should be running everything you listen to in Mono. Using any type of surround mode won't be beneficial at all.

Check within your receiver's various menus to see if you can shut off output to the front main speakers (and all surround speakers, if you haven't already done so). See what happens then.

Also, if you do only have the C2 and Sub-12, you should be running everything you listen to in Mono. Using any type of surround mode won't be beneficial at all.

If you're only driving one speaker and a sub, you won't get much volume. Wait until you get some more hooked up and you'll be amazed at what adding a few channels of power amp can do. Your receiver has 6 or 7 channels, each with its own power amp section. You can't expect one channel to provide the room-filling volume of 5, 6, or 7 channels. It's sort of like running your car on one or two cylinders.

Lots of forum members have very good results with Yamaha receivers. Keep the volume down until you've got at least a pair of main speakers hooked up, and it will be even louder when you hook up some more speakers after that, particularly if you use the 7 Channel Stereo mode.

Since this is my first set, I'm probably getting the F-3's very shortly. Didn't want to go too big right away...especially with this size receiver.

Bigger speakers are actually easier to drive than small ones. Some huge speakers only need 10 watts for plenty of volume.

As well, it costs less to get what you really want the first time, instead of a series of trades up.