Let's see your Klipsch speakers.

JDJohnson

• 3 weeks later...

JanR . . . With all that beautiful wood and the speakers, it looks like it could be in Norway . . . wait . . . It is in Norway! Hope you are enjoying your modifications . . . A joy to see, even if you never turn the audio on! Really nice setup!

JanR . . . With all that beautiful wood and the speakers, it looks like it could be in Norway . . . wait . . . It is in Norway! Hope you are enjoying your modifications . . . A joy to see, even if you never turn the audio on! Really nice setup!

Hehe, thx.

I am, very. ALK horn stays. But...i'd like to have them in the original top's. Or maybe build new top's in the same finish - look as the original one's.

ALK horn is bit bigger (taller) than the original horn's så tweeter won't fit. Ahh well, no rush, need something to do when the winther comes :)

/jan

Very nice setup Andy. I've always heard the one thing the Heresy's lack was bottom end. You have that totally covered with the DD15. Big Smile

Yeah, Youthman. The Heresys without the sub are a bit thin in the bass department. But the addition of a good sub makes a world of difference.

I admit that I have seriously thought of going up the Classic series chain a bit in the size department. Does size matter? I'd bet that the bigger cabinets produce alot more low end, but I have noticed by reading the posts that even owners of Cornwalls, La Scalas, and even K'Horns talk about adding a sub.

Hehe, thx.

I am, very. ALK horn stays. But...i'd like to have them in the original top's. Or maybe build new top's in the same finish - look as the original one's.

ALK horn is bit bigger (taller) than the original horn's så tweeter won't fit. Ahh well, no rush, need something to do when the winther comes :)

/jan

If it were me? I would build new tops to look like the old ones (only outside dimensions and squeeze the tweeter in left or right of the horn) and then cover with grill fabric so looks like original with the benefit of the new. I know I have seen plans somewhere here in the forum under mods. But, then again . . . I really find the look you have now extremely unique. Wait a minute . . . Just hang the original tops on a wall in the room . . . Best of both worlds! ;-)

I veneered the Khorns, not factory Originals...I do not believe that pic is Bills Khorns, unless he built some false corners I didnt know about and traded down his subs.

Here is a pic of one before Bill got em. Although I did buy them in Buffalo NY..they were born Birch Raw,

Ed

post-30712-13819739176504_thumb.jpg

post-30712-13819769839736_thumb.jpg

post-30712-1381979694877_thumb.jpg

I veneered the Khorns, not factory Originals...I do not believe that pic is Bills Khorns, unless he built some false corners I didnt know about and traded down his subs.

Here is a pic of one before Bill got em. Although I did buy them in Buffalo NY..they were born Birch Raw,

Ed

Nice job on the veneer.

The pic is from my living room about 7 or 8 years ago before I sold the speakers. I sold them without the corners and they were factory originals. I heard that they were in a flood so that leaves about 5 pairs left. You are close to NY so I thought they may ehav ebeen mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a pair of 1980 La Scalas on July 14, 2012.

Their finish is pretty bad, but this fall I will gut them and prep and paint them black with a marine epoxy paint. Will also do a molding and grill plate around the tweeter and squaker.

I had to replace the tweeter and midrange diaphragms in one speaker. A new set of sonicaps in the "AA" crossovers as the original caps were off value.

Had a time with speaker phasing as some genious had wired a replacement woofer in backwards, and the other midrange diaphragm had been installed backwards.

MAN, these speakers sound really wonderful. I listen at low to medium levels, and I am just astounded at what they can do. They are improving as time goes by.

1964 Marantz 7c preamp Telefunken 12AX7A smooth plate (originals)

1964 Marantz 8b power amp with Mullard EL34 XF. Russian K-40Y 0.1 uf coupling caps bypassed with 0.01 polyprops

1971 Thorens TD125 AB MKII turntable with Denon DL 160 cartridge

1970 Dynaco FM-3, and 1964 Marantz 10b tuners

Music Hall CD25.2 cd player

Luminous Audio "Synchestra Signature" speaker cables

post-52876-13819739910164_thumb.jpg

post-52876-1381977056994_thumb.jpg

post-52876-13819797719648_thumb.jpg

Bought a pair of 1980 La Scalas on July 14, 2012.

Their finish is pretty bad, but this fall I will gut them and prep and paint them black with a marine epoxy paint. Will also do a molding and grill plate around the tweeter and squaker.

I had to replace the tweeter and midrange diaphragms in one speaker. A new set of sonicaps in the "AA" crossovers as the original caps were off value.

Had a time with speaker phasing as some genious had wired a replacement woofer in backwards, and the other midrange diaphragm had been installed backwards.

MAN, these speakers sound really wonderful. I listen at low to medium levels, and I am just astounded at what they can do. They are improving as time goes by.

1964 Marantz 7c preamp Telefunken 12AX7A smooth plate (originals)

1964 Marantz 8b power amp with Mullard EL34 XF. Russian K-40Y 0.1 uf coupling caps bypassed with 0.01 polyprops

1971 Thorens TD125 AB MKII turntable with Denon DL 160 cartridge

1970 Dynaco FM-3, and 1964 Marantz 10b tuners

Music Hall CD25.2 cd player

Luminous Audio "Synchestra Signature" speaker cables

Nice looking set up, welcome to the forum. [Y]

Thank you for your nice comment.

Previous "fronts" were home made,by me, 3 way transmission lines designed by Ralph Hellmer.

Audax Aerogel woofer and midrange, 8" and 4", Dynaudio D21/2 dome tweeter.

I built these in 1997 and they kept me "happy" for 15 years.

The grills move up to the top, to guard the drivers when not in use.

The "terminus" is on the bottom front, behind the grill pieces.

These speakers are very fast, warm, and image really well.

Decided to try the La Scalas, and like them.

Thanks again, Bruce

post-52876-1381974003118_thumb.jpg

post-52876-13819770684472_thumb.jpg

post-52876-13819797870554_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Was playing around today and disconnected every source but the Apple TV...guess you could say I've gone fully digital! It really cleaned up my TV stand lol!

The setup looks good, especially against the color of your walls. Well done.