Sony Preamp to Crown Active crossover with 1/4 balanced inputs for Bi-Amp?

Dylanl

I have tried everything to get this set up working without results. I am using a Sony Pre amp going from RCA outs to the crown input - 1/4" mono plugs into the unity gain of the Crown VFX2A crossover - then 1/4 mono to the seperate amps - Amps to speaker. With the preamp gain all the way up and the volume all the way up I only get very little sound. Do I need to make custom cables RCA-1/4 Balanced or do I have a gain mismatch? I want to bi-amp my system but I am running into trouble

Thanks

I'm not familiar with your specific gear so I may be way off base.

Is the Sony unit considered residential? If so, it's possible that your Crown is expecting a hotter signal than it's receiving. I have an Art Cleanbox which is a little transformer that converts RCA to XLR AND (I think) it also bumps the signal level by 6db or something like that?

(I'll admit that half of how much of this stuff works, is to me....voodoo!!)

Anyways... my experience when I had the Cleanbox in my system is it indeed, created a hotter signal on the input side of my active. I currently have it OUT of the system (and can send it as well).

I have a Peach and I also have a Lexicon. I've flipped them back/forth once or twice. I noticed the Lexicon didn't seem to have the same volume the Peach had. Looked further into it and it seems the output of the Lexicon is less than what the Peach is capable of. Now that makes sense to me.

Somewhere, you can probably find the input needs for the Crown as well as the output abilities of the Sony?

I'm not familiar with your specific gear so I may be way off base.

Is the Sony unit considered residential? If so, it's possible that your Crown is expecting a hotter signal than it's receiving. I have an Art Cleanbox which is a little transformer that converts RCA to XLR AND (I think) it also bumps the signal level by 6db or something like that?

(I'll admit that half of how much of this stuff works, is to me....voodoo!!)

Anyways... my experience when I had the Cleanbox in my system is it indeed, created a hotter signal on the input side of my active. I currently have it OUT of the system (and can send it as well).

I have a Peach and I also have a Lexicon. I've flipped them back/forth once or twice. I noticed the Lexicon didn't seem to have the same volume the Peach had. Looked further into it and it seems the output of the Lexicon is less than what the Peach is capable of. Now that makes sense to me.

Somewhere, you can probably find the input needs for the Crown as well as the output abilities of the Sony?

I think it is a gain mismatch. I use an art cleanbox for my passive subwoofer setup which had the same problem. At least it semmed that way. I have a audio friend that is willing to look at the EQ just to make sure it is ok. If so it is somewhere between the balanced and unbalanced signal and gain.

Does anyone know, does a clean box or other device that ups the signal degrade it in any way? Its one more piece in the signal path and I want mine as clean as possible.