Separates or speaker components?

leerocker

Hi all,

If I were to throw a couple hundred at my system would it be better spent in adding some used separates for the L-C-R or in refreshing the electronics within my speakers?

I have three Chorus I up front, two KLF10 in back and a marantz SR7200 amp. I was looking at the Marantz MA500 separates. They are only modestly more wattage then my receiver - would i even hear a difference?

Thanks for any input.

You'll probably notice a slight difference between your current amplification and upgrading to the separates that you mentioned. Freshening up the crossover networks and upgrading to titanium diaphragms on your front speakers will make a greater impact (and improvement) in my opinion, however.

I can hear the difference in new cables, X overs, amps, etc. but having RS7s in the back with La Scalas/Acadamy in the Front has never really bothered me when actually watching a well recorded movie.

Really only bothers me when I read my equipement list or when talking to an Expert.

Would also bother me if I hit the Lotto.

I am less critical of Movies, sounds better than most thearters anyway, and more critical of 2 channel.

My old Forte IIs sound good with a good amp, preamp, and source.

I view it as a chain: Person Making the Noise - Person Recording the Noise - Person Mixing the Noise - Source/equipement decoding the Noise - Wires sending the noise - AMPs increasing the Noise - Speakers Playing the Noise - Room the Noise is reproduced in

Also each of these can be broken into subsytems BluRay for example: Transport, Power supply, Layout, DACs etc,

As all these are improved the more noticable a weak link becomes, but ironically compaired to the whole, relativily little is gained by upgrading the last component. For proof just ask my wife or kids that noticed a big improvement when the Fortes were replaced with La Scalas but can not hear any differance in the last 3 upgrades.

Also the last upgrade was the best .... until the next upgrade becomes the best ....

All that said I would guess Caps or crossovers, if poor or dried out, are usually the best bang for the Buck.

Others swear by timbre matching, it is probably like money -- it's not everything until you have had it . . .