Cornscala III from Italy & Oppo BD 83 SE Modifications

robi

Good evening,

I'm Roby from Italy and I'm sorry for my very bad american. [:$]

I've listened and/or owned several european speakers with conventional drivers and efficency (5" "woofer", 85 dbW/1) until I've had the opportunity of listen Klipsch Heritage Series. It's another league, another dimension of listening!!!

I love Klipsch sound!!!!!!

I can't install a Klipschorn (should be my next dream...) so I decided to build a Cornscala (that I named Cornscala III).

I bought all the components from Bob Crites (thank you very much for your patience Bob !!!!!!) and he advice me to use the PH 800 horn (the reason is the other Pyle was discontinued).

I started to design my cabinets for the new volumes of the squakers and several internal modifications that I'll do (on the cabinet and on the components). The final result will be (I hope...) a little bit higher than a standard Cornwall III.

Then I started to cut and the glue the MDF with a friend that is a professional woodworker.

If you're interested I'll post more infos and shots.

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Roby.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good evening,

I'm Roby from Italy and I'm sorry for my very bad american. Embarrassed

I've listened and/or owned several european speakers with conventional drivers and efficency (5" "woofer", 85 dbW/1) until I've had the opportunity of listen Klipsch Heritage Series. It's another league, another dimension of listening!!!

I love Klipsch sound!!!!!!

I can't install a Klipschorn (should be my next dream...) so I decided to build a Cornscala (that I named Cornscala III).

I bought all the components from Bob Crites (thank you very much for your patience Bob !!!!!!) and he advice me to use the PH 800 horn (the reason is the other Pyle was discontinued).

I started to design my cabinets for the new volumes of the squakers and several internal modifications that I'll do (on the cabinet and on the components). The final result will be (I hope...) a little bit higher than a standard Cornwall III.

Then I started to cut and the glue the MDF with a friend that is a professional woodworker.

If you're interested I'll post more infos and shots.

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Roby.

Yes photos please.[Y][:)]

Boun Giorno! Welcome to the forum Roby!

You will enjoy the Cornscala very much. I recommend you check with GotHover who makes a very nice wood horn known as the Fastrac. Makes a bella musica in the midrange, very mellow. I am just now finishing my Cornscalas and they make wonderful music!

Ciao, Herb

post-37367-13819500500658_thumb.jpg

Good evening!!!

Thanks for your answers!!!

I try to attach a shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43338374@N08/3988580730/

About the mid horn I suppose the fastrack are very nice. But I ordered the ph800 before and the project It's going on.

Bob Crites suggested me the ph 800 and I'm not an expert. I'm going to decoupling and reinforcing the horns (bigger thickness). May be in the future I build a wood horn.

See you soon.

Roby

Thanks, I am very happy with the sound. Still have to get the grills back from Groomlakearea51 and then they will be finito!

Where do you live in Italia? We rent an apartament in Montepulciano every summer for the past five years and love it there! Next summer we are going to come there for the month of July.

Good luck with your progetto! I tried to look at the photo but I could not access it through Yahoo?

Ciao,

Herb

Good evening!!!

Thanks for your answers!!!

I try to attach a shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43338374@N08/3988580730/

About the mid horn I suppose the fastrack are very nice. But I ordered the ph800 before and the project It's going on.

Bob Crites suggested me the ph 800 and I'm not an expert. I'm going to decoupling and reinforcing the horns (bigger thickness). May be in the future I build a wood horn.

See you soon.

Roby

Roby,

When I try your flickr link, I get a message that permission is needed to view

This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Here's a link back to your home page.

I''m sorry to everbody for the photos.

@Herb: I live in the south of Italy but Montepulciano is good!!! The wine also....you're always welcome in Italy (even with yours Cornscalas!!!!).

Roby

In the photo there's the base of the cabinet (made in MDF 19 mm of thickness) with the inserts for the side panels and machined to fit the motorboard.

What are the dimensions of the Fastrack horn???

post-39064-13819500812788_thumb.jpg

Roby,

I can check when I get home but I know they just barely fit in the stock Cornwall cabinet when they are attached with an adaptor to the K-55 driver. I got mine from GotHover who builds them. He might be able to give you dimensions. I decided not to use the PH-800 after I looked at them online at:

http://www.newark.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=38C2777&CMP=KNC-G10000679&HBX_OU=50&HBX_PK=PH-800

They just seemed to be cheaply made. I don't know about the sound but, I can say that the wooden horn is much much better than the old metal K-400's.I will measure the horn tonight and send you the dimensions. I strongly recommend the Fastrac for the squawker, you won't be disappointed!

Herb

Dear Herb, I wait for fastrac dimensions ... may be for another couple of cornscalas??????

How much for 2 fastrac? Where I can buy it? There's a website?

For the PH 800 I'll reinforce it by resins (increasing a lot their thickness) and I'm going to support the alnico driver (very heavy!!!!): see photos.

As I said I'm not an expert and I'm using all the components that BOb Crites suggested me (including crossovers).

post-39064-13819500881186_thumb.jpg

Dear Mike Dubai,

your project is - in my opinion - the best. A decoupled section for mid and high should reduce vibration from the 15" beasts.

I can't do it for overall dimensions (too big for my installation) but I'm working to reduce vibrations also.

The crossover will be external and mid and tweeter will be decoupled from the cabinet (or better I'm trying to do this...).

My friend wood worker use the glue WOOD LOCK 2001. He's very accurate and sound addicted: thank you a lot Roby Bafaro!!!

post-39064-1381950088284_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Robi, the Fastrac mouth is roughly 7"x14". I do not think they will fit in your current project. BTW, they are coming along nicely.

I like how you kept the drivers in close proximity, I am sure they are going to soound great.

Here is a garage sale link to my horns. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/118648/1197153.aspx#1197153

Dave Harris, Gothover@aol.com

post-24405-13819500899394_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much guys!!!

Your words encourages me to go on the project!!!

Your wood horns are fantastic and I think the price is low. May be my next squakers...

The finish will be high tickness cherry veneer (I love it...).

In those days I'm working a lot with my father:

1)Back panels with a lot of insert screw.

2)Anti diffraction grilles.

3)Decoupling spacers for mid and tweeter.

Thank you daddy!!! You're number one for me.

I will post some shots in the next days...but Mr. Klipsch could say: "bullshit!!!!!!!!" [:D]

Roby.

Thank you very much guys!!!

Your words encourages me to go on the project!!!

Your wood horns are fantastic and I think the price is low. May be my next squakers...

The finish will be high tickness cherry veneer (I love it...).

In those days I'm working a lot with my father:

1)Back panels with a lot of insert screw.

2)Anti diffraction grilles.

3)Decoupling spacers for mid and tweeter.

Thank you daddy!!! You're number one for me.

I will post some shots in the next days...but Mr. Klipsch could say: "bullshit!!!!!!!!" Big Smile

Roby.

Don't worry Roby, Mr. Klipsch isn't saying much of anything these days!

Keep the fotos coming!

Herb