Wanting a new home theater system

jedfromaz

I'm on my way of purchasing a new house and I want to do it right in the new house. Right now I have two Mirage Omnisat speakers as fronts and a 5.1 Polk set to fill the 7.1 theater. I want to do all Klipsch in the new house. I have a Denon 789 reciever and I don't have too much to spend (no more than $1200 hopefully). I'm not sure what speakers to go with and I'm afraid of buying speakers that will be under powered. I don't have the dimensions of the new living room but it's probably 18X18ft. What do you guys/gals think? I don't have to do the whole 7.1 because most movies aren't coded for it, a 5.1 is good enough.

1. Mirage is now Owned by Klipsch.

2. If you like the sound just get more Mirage to complete the set.

3.Your receiver should be fine with whatever system you get. You can upgrade later.

4. Click the Klipsch logo at the top of this page and pick HT systems to see which ones fill your needs.

Post pics when you get setup.............

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/

Are you just wanting a home theater system that you'll enjoy for many years to come, or is this more of a hobby type purchase and something that you plan to expand into the future?

If the former, I would just get the biggest 5.1 Klipsch system within your budget. If the latter, then I might consider putting your funds into a nicer pair of mains and then using your old speakers to fill out the surround channels. Then as the budget permits, you can slowly purchase the matching sub, surrounds and center channel.

One of the nice things about Klipsch is they use horns, which are inherantly more efficient and don't require as much power to fill a space with sound.

Klipsch just has so many speakers and I'm not sure where to start. This is going to be a system that is hopefully not replaced until something goes out. Are tower speakers worth it since most of the speaking from movies are out of the center channel? We're really not going to listen any music in the living room just movies and video games. I went to a local retailer and heard the ICON series and were they nice. I want to make only one purchase and want to be happy. If I have to I'll purchase a couple of speakers at a time. I'm just looking for a nice overall sound that will suprise me everytime I'm playing a game or watching a movie.

• Moderators

First off, welcome to the forums.

If you are looking to build a nice modest system on a budget, I would highly recommend checking your local Craigslist. You can use www.craigshelper.com . I have found some unbelievable deals on Craigslist and many others have as well. Due to the economy, NOW is the time to buy. Don't be afraid to ask them for less too. If they are a motivated seller, the'll let it go or at least lower their asking price.

What area do you live in? In Florida, deals are everywhere. For example, in my area, here is a complete Synergy (Klipsch entry level) system for $900. Would be a great budget system. If you can find an older reference series (RF, RB, RS etc) speakers, they are a nice step up from the synergy.

Here are three nice speakers that are highly regarded in the Klipsch Community for $900. KLF-30's. Link

CF-3's for $450 (amazing speakers).

I know these speakers might not be anywhere close to you but just wanted to let you know that there are plenty of used speakers that can fit within your budget and totally rock your living room for HT.

For cables, be sure to check out Monoprice. Super nice quality and super inexpensive prices.

Here are a few questions:

1. Do you mind buying quality used speakers?

2. If you go with floorstanding speakers, do you want tall & skinny or short and wide?

3. What color do you prefer (Black, Cherry, Oak etc)

If we know where you are located, we can help be on the lookout for good deals. Don't be afraid to post a link to an ad that you see and we'll help let you know if it's a good deal or not and if the speakers would be worth the investment.

Good luck in your search. Be patient, wait for the right deal and if you don't mind slowly piecing the system together, you can end up with a killer system for a modest price.

There are also lots of Sales on the West Coast too...............

1. Set a Budget you want / can afford to spend. Also check with your S/O about your plans.............

2. Start your search, and as others have stated, take your time !

3. Enjoy the Hunt

Here's an easy way to browse the suggested systems from Klipsch:
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/home-theater-system/default.aspx?viewall=true

If you can swing it, the Synergy F2 system represents what I consider to be the best bang for the buck:
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/f-2-home-theater-system-overview/

You can expect to spend much less than MSRP, but I'm not sure if you could just outright purchase the F2 system for $1200, but it never hurts to try.

The B2 system is a bit cheaper, but I would highly recommend upgrading the subwoofer to the Sub-12. The Sub-10 isn't very impressive, but the 12 is very very nice for the price:
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/b-2-home-theater-system-overview/

The thing about bookshelf speakers for the mains is that you usually end up needing to find a stand of some sort for them.

Also, if your room would allow for three identical speakers up front, then that would be the best for movies. The "center channel" speakers are offered as an aesthetic solution, but a normal bookshelf will actually perform better as a center channel - not to mention provide perfect timbre matching across the front 3 speakers.

So something like three B2's for the LCR and then the S1 for the rears and a Sub 12 would be a really killer system.

If you are looking for speakers only I think you could get the f2 set from vanns.com for 1200. Send them an e-mail asking for a quotation for the set up you want...they'll give you a better deal than what is posted on their site...and shipping is free.

I recently purchased 2 f3, 1 c3, 4 s3 (2 sets), and a sub 12 for just under 1400 (though their quotation was just over 1300...made me a little mad that they changed it when I called, but it was still cheaper than I was originally hoping, the csr said her forgot the sub in the quotation).

So, I'm confident you could get a 5.1 set up for about 1200. I ordered Friday evening and the speakers arrived the next tuesday morning...free shipping!

I appreciate the help. I'm moving to Gilbert, Arizona it very east of Phoenix; I currently live in Mesa, AZ. I'm all about buying brand new in the new house. I'm afraid of going to big for speakers but want a good all around sound. What series would you guys recommend for a starter system, that I will be satisfied? I have the pro media 2.1 set from Klipsch and I absolutely love it.

The thing about bookshelf speakers for the mains is that you usually end up needing to find a stand of some sort for them.

That is actually a very good point in the whole "Bookshelf vs Towers" debate.

How much are you going to need to spend to get a decent pair of stands to mount them on? I've often found that for what it costs to get the stands vs just getting the equivelent tower version of the speaker (i.e., RB-81s vs the RF-82s), it is often better to just get the tower in the first place. It will take up the same amount of space as a bookshelf on a stand, as well more than likely cost nearly the same (once you add in the cost of the stands themselves to the cost of the speaker), plus you'll most likely get a much better, more fuller range, speaker out of it as well.

As for the rest, I think plenty of good suggestions have already been made. Shop around and see what kind of deals you could get.