Do you use a sub in your 2-channel?

Chris A

I was wondering how many folks here use a subwoofer in their 2-channel or music-based multi-channel, [3.1, 4.1, 5.1] setup. On what type of music do your sub(s) contribute the most?

Chris

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I run two different 2 channel rigs for music, one with Chorus II's and one with Cornwall II's. For me there has never been a need for me to add a subwoofer. Some folks feel they are beneficial with a Heresy or La Scala I setup. If I had a multi channel steup, I would consider one for dvd's.

I go back and forth. Right now I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Echoes and have my sub on. If I'm listening at loud levels I usually use my sub and have the crossover set at 120Hz to get a better impact from bass drums and to take the strain off my receiver.

I go back and forth. Right now I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Echoes and have my sub on. If I'm listening at loud levels I usually use my sub and have the crossover set at 120Hz to get a better impact from bass drums and to take the strain off my receiver.

Same here...I only use my Paradigm Servo 15 when I feel the need, not so much with my RF-5's, but more with my La Scala's.

I use a sub with my Heresy's. Helps fill in the lower octive very nicely...espcially feels needed when using it with the Sony 2-channel SS amp(even have the bass boost on). If I run the speakers off my Scott 299B, then I don't feel it needs it as so much, as the sound is much warmer/fuller.

I'm using a Paradigm sub with my JubScalas. I have it dialed in so the speakers and sub working together give fairly flat response down to about 25Hz. It seems to help with all kinds of music, even acoustic folk.

Interestingly, I found that for most music, a small sub (8" driver, 100 watts) was adequate, but for movies the 10" 500 watt sub was really needed.

I'm using a Paradigm sub with my JubScalas. I have it dialed in so the speakers and sub working together give fairly flat response down to about 25Hz. It seems to help with all kinds of music, even acoustic folk.

Interestingly, I found that for most music, a small sub (8" driver, 100 watts) was adequate, but for movies the 10" 500 watt sub was really needed.

These are interesting responses. I can say that this generally confirms an observation that the kind of music that we listen to is most important in what we believe to be true about subs and two channel, etc.

I recently added two tapped-horn subs in the corners of my room and the difference is dramatic for music and video--at least to my ears. But I also noted that the differences were only pronounced when I put on music that---I'm guessing here--many people don't listen to: mainstream jazz, orchestra/chamber music, organ, etc. I play those genres often, and they clearly stress stereo setups in ways that other music does not.

Rocket science? Maybe not, but a notable point when talking with other folks re:"what they need", including hf compression drivers. Identifying what we typically listen to is probably the most important point, IMHO.

Chris

... But I also noted that the differences were only pronounced when I put on music that---I'm guessing here--many people don't listen to: mainstream jazz, orchestra/chamber music, organ, etc. I play those genres often, and they clearly stress stereo setups in ways that other music does not.

That is true, but even within genre's of like Rock, you have bands like MUSE which are rock at heart, but they have orchestra peices, and also some piano/synth stuff....and the new album has some pretty good and deep tracks.

It is preference...it like so many people using the standard iPod headphones for listening...some people just don't realize what they are missing, and content with such.

jc,

Presently, it is 90 HZ--24 dB/Octave, and I don't cross the Jubs presently - they are still at "factory settings". Yes, this is with the Jubs.

Note that I'm not satisfied yet--I need to instrument the room--so I'm still evaluating where and how steeply the crossovers should occur. The Preamp presently handles these settings, not the Dx38.

But, having said all that, I currently still have a smile on my face. Remember Bentz's remark about rising room response as you get into the room-gain regime: that flat response is not what most people desire - they want to hear that room gain (to some extent).

Chris

i usually do, but sometimes I just like to hear the RF-5's in their full glory so I switch over to pure direct mode. Adding in the Carver to drive my mains definitely helped everything overall, with zero concerns about available headroom. I've yet to get those LED's bouncing above the half-way point. :)