Who is running RF-7s with tubes?

Macallan

I currently have the RF-7s with a Peach II preamp and a B&K 200.2 amplifier. I am happy with the sound but curious what a tube amp would bring. Anyone using the RF-7 with a tube amp? I am using them for music and HT. I would want a low maintenance option. I think BAT has an auto bias feature.

I've got a B&K system with RF-7's for TV\movies\videos and use a Peach/VRD/RF7 when listening to music. I have paired the Peach with solid state, and while I know the Peach with the B&K sounds terrific, I've found adding a (quality) tube amp and running the Peach in HiZ mode will bring greater detail, and a more realistic presentation of the music. It's difficult for me to describe, but you'll know it when you hear it. And don't be afraid of biasing tubes, it's usually quite simple.

never thought about that. Is that as simple as connecting each amp to the respective connectors on the RF-7s? Also how do you switch between the B&K and the VRD? Does a switch or selector box degrade the sound?

I have mono blocks for each speaker (B&k & VRD), I physically disconnect the speaker cable from the B&K and connect to the VRD when listening to CD's. Switch/selector boxes could be used, however most speaker switch boxes are designed for bare cable.

What is the downside to using the tubes for HT and music, besides tube life? Would something like the BAT VK-55se (55 watts) be sufficient to drive the RF-7s for movies as well? BAT claims their tubes last 5+ years and since the Peach has to be on for HT mode, might as well have the tube amp as my sole amp.

What is the downside to using the tubes for HT and music, besides tube life? Would something like the BAT VK-55se (55 watts) be sufficient to drive the RF-7s for movies as well?

I'm sure there's plenty of folks that use tubes for HT, but personally, when I'm doing home theater, it's usually a concert and in 5.1. And with concerts I prefer very high SPL's that the B&K 200 watt monoblocks are able to provide. The 55 watts will certainly work, but (for me) would run out of steam with Led Zeppelin's/John Bonham's "Moby Dick".

Along with looking at the watts, you need to make sure the tube amp can handle the RF-7's 2.8 Ohm impedance dip. If your amp's not stout, it'll holler "Momma".

That's a great point. I have tried my new (to me) RF-7s with my flea-powered 2A3 amps, and the magic is just not there. My EL84 Stromberg-Carlson does better but the best match I have for the big Reference is the vintage Mac MC250 SS. The RF-7s, even at 102 dB efficient, are power-hungry!

Rick

I have my RF-7's upstairs on my HT system, however I brought my Dynaco ST-70's upstairs and hooked them up to the RF-7's and was amazed on how smooth the sound that came from them. I would think that the ultimate would be to power the low end with a SS amp and power the high end with a tube amp since the RF-7's bass comes alive with alot of power.

The biggest difference I experience changinging from SS amp to tube amp with the Peach is detail. When I listen to the all tube system, I don't want to turn it up, "normal" listening levels are completly satisfactory because I can hear the details I crave, whereas with SS it seems I always want to turn it up louder. When I added the tube amplification it was though another veil was lifted from covering the speaker. It seems to bring you closer to the music.

Where are you located? Maybe you could borrow a tube amp from a close forum member to try to see if you think the change would be worth the investment.

Sorry I missed this earlier,

Until a few months ago my favorite amp for the RF-7s was a pair of 2A3 SETs .. very natural and detailed sound. I used that for years and was very happy with it. I have since switched to a custom implementation of one of the original, lowest power Hypex modules which I am running at power for 60W / channel: optimized for lowest distortion at low power. This is way cleaner than the SET .. I can hear much more low level detail (for example: acoustic room reverb including acoustic reverb in studio recordings that don't use electronic reverb). Sound, due I guess to the very low distortion at al levels, is even more natural sounding than the SETs. Massed strings are very nice. High power is obviously much better and remains clean.

I have also found a nice 26Watt class A, but some mods are required to remove a small DC offset so that one remains on the bench.

I continue to be impressed with the fantastic sound (really lack of "sound" .. fantastic capabilities) of the RF-7.

Leo