Who are your favorite bluesmen?????

winchester21

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Muel and BluesPwr welcome to the club. Good thread to get you feet wet.

It appears that Thebes, as usual, must step in and a more trenchant, nuanced discourse on a subject of national import that certainly reflects back upon our standing amongst the Congress of nations..

As always, however, I am up to the task.

I ask you could we even begin to have a discourse on the blues, then and now, without mentioning the soon-to-be immortal Keb Mo. What ever happened to Big Bill Bronzy? Could I lie meself down to bed without Charley Patton and Mississippi Fred McDowell, hear a train go by without hearkening to Charlie Musselwhite. Couldn't go through a toll booth without Clarence Gatemouth Brown.Indeed, greens would never taste the same without Corey Harris, a swamp has no flavor without Tad Benoit. I will never contemplate sex without Coleen Sexton and Susan Tedeschi. I can't cakewalk without Taj Mahal and never, never, will I be Hard Again without Muddy.

Lonnie Mack and Wayne Perkins.

Stevie Ray Vaughn referred to Lonnie Mack as a personal hero and major influence as a guitar player. What most people know about Lonnie is an instrumental called "Memphis", but there's much more, like he was the only person NOT in the band to play bass on a Doors album. Here's an interesting musing on Lonnie: ""God bless the Beach Boys, but I was really gettin' tired of "Little
Deuce Coupe" and all the beach songs, and "Louie, Louie" — which are
all great songs, but I'm talkin' about guitar-playin'. And then, here
come Lonnie Mack right down the middle of it all. God, what a breath of
fresh air that was for me." Allman Brothers guitarist Dickie Betts".(quote from Wikipedia article on Lonnie)

Wayne Perkins is as good as they get, but in two narrowly defined niches...those of the studio musician and songwriter. He worked extensively in Muscle Shoals, London, England (listen to Marley's 1st studio album, "Concrete Jungle" electric guitars, esp solo), Memphis, and Nashville, recording on great and sometimes hit and sometimes grammy-winning records for artists as diverse as The Rolling Stones, Don Nix, Joe Cocker, Albert King, Bobby Womack, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Oak Ridge Boys, Leon Russell, Michael Bolton, Frankie Miller, John Prine, McGuinn-Hillman, Millie Jackson, Steve Cropper, Bob Marley, Joni Mitchell, Delbert McClinton, Glenn Frey, Rev Al Green(got a grammy for both playing and production there). Most of the good old studios are either not there now or have turned into museums, so Wayne diverted his efforts into writing and recording his own music and he has a website, http://www.wayneperkins.com

You said you wanted to get 'offroad' with it....

Doc

Most everyone as hit my favorites. Like others, anything on Alligator records is great. A couple of bands/artists that I haven't seen mentioned I think are great.

Back Door Slam/Davey Knowles - from the Isle of Mann but they have been playing here in Burlington quite a bit.

Indigenous/Mato?? - I have a couple of disks and caught them on Austin City limits and they are pretty good.

Fernando Noronha & Black Soul - I think they are from Brazil, don't know how I found them but they rock out nicely.

• 8 months later...