Here is what is new... to me.

HPower

I thought I should post a couple of pic of my latest finds.

Early in the summer I picked up a Scott 299D on FleaBay, probably paid more than it was worth, but it is almost mint cosmetically and was all original.

Sent it into Craig to work his magic, got it back several weeks ago and have really been enjoying the sound.

The Scott is sounding VERY nice, Craig did a great job with the rebuild.

Thanks Craig I cannot say enough about your service and expertise!

This past Monday I noticed an ad for a HK 630 receiver on Canuck Audio Mart (the Canadian AGon) for $55.

The seller said it worked, but has some intermittent problems when adjusting the controls

I am actually listing to the HK right now playing my new favorite band "Son Volt".

The HK 630 is, I think, from 1972.

It has a nice full sound, leaning on the warm side, with no harshness that my ear seems to pick up

with most solid state stuff now.

The tuner section seems to work pretty good as well, I just hope I can clean up the controls easily enough.

Maybe not the be all, end all... but this vintage stuff is not bad, at all!

post-27869-13819500972302_thumb.jpg

Nice looking pieces, I am some what fan of Hk I have a new avr from them that I think is nice for my budget. I always wanted a older piece and now that I know some come with pre outs I might end up still going with one down the road. I like the Scoot looks real nice theres a fella around town that has one at a local flea market but he knows what its worth and wants alot for it. Congrats on the nice finds hope you enjoy.

duder

Hey Bill,

That shot of the HK is from the seller's ad, those speakers are Realistic.

Not sure what to make of them, here is the line about them in the sellers classified:

* One pair of great-looking [but with bright-blue grills] & great sounding Realistic T100 [semi-tower] speakers - $50.00

Hey guys,

I took a bit of a flyer on the HK 630 since I knew up front that there were some functional issues, but for 55 bucks it will not be

the end of the world if I cannot get it working a little better.

I got a chance to play the HK 630 on the KHorns last night for a hour or so.
It did require a lot of fiddling with the controls to get the receiver to have the sound stay on and quiet.
Even after I got the knobs in a good spot, all of the sudden the noise would come back
and I would have to jump up and give them a little wiggle.

When it was playing properly, the sound was very nice, full and leaning on the warmer side,
with hardly any harshness that my ears picks up with most solid state gear.
Not quite as smooth as the tube sound in my Scott, but probably has a little more punch in the
bass and upper bass areas.

I am hoping that a little cleaning up of the controls with Detoxit will cure what is alling it.

I am really liking the "American Central Dust" album.

I have several Wilco albums and 1 Uncle Tupelo cd, and of the 3 groups I am liking the Son Volt sound the best.

A little more rootsy, more Alt-country than pop/rock.

I am hoping that a little cleaning up of the controls with Detoxit will cure what is alling it

I know that when I first got my receivers they had static with a lot of the knobs. After a cleaning and a shot of Deoxit they sounded better but if you let it sit for a while it might come back. I play 2 of the receiver more, the other one gives back static but after a day of playing it's gone again.

Hey James,

I am hoping it is just dirty pots, when I do get them positioned just right the receiver nice and clean and quite.

What is involve in getting in and cleaning them with the Detoxit, can I get to the controls by just removing the outer case

or will I have to get the face off as well?

I just looked at the Detoxit web site and they have several different products as well as different type applicators.

Which product would you suggest I get for the job?

I will maybe send Craig off an email with the same questions.

What and however he did the 299... it didn't have the same level of scratchiness, but it is now better than new.

The Scott controls operate very smoothly and DEAD quiet.

Which product would you suggest I get for the job?

This is the one that I picked up, I think I have to find it to make sure.

What is involve in getting in and cleaning them with the Detoxit, can I get to the controls by just removing the outer case

or will I have to get the face off as well?

I believe that I just took off the outer case and use the supplied straw to get into the areas. It seamed to work, remember to let it dry out before plugging back in. The only problem that I have is when the Yamaha doesn't get used, when I first turn it on I get the static in the volume knob but after a while it does go away. Also you can clean it out then try it and if it still has problems you can try to clean it again, I did this to my Marantz three times and it did the trick, each time I didn't over saturate it I just shoot a few sprays at each location.

James

I seem to recall that some people here have also recommended replacing all the internal fuses on the HK.

Those Scotts are wonderfull, and Craig, although a true barbarian of inderminate parentage, is a concert pianist when it comes to restoring them.

" and Craig, although a true barbarian of inderminate parentage"

thebes,

I am tell'n Craig you said that... Devil

Fine by me. Time to bring that nancy boy out of whatever closet he's been hiding in. Everybody knows DeanG taught him how to solder and Eric Mandeville designed all his circuits.

I'm enjoying a similar renaissance with some old tube gear. I've been driving my new Forte II's with my Dynaco ST70 HotRod for a while now, but today I finally finished my (very) amatuer rebuild of a Fisher 400 receiver that's sat dormant for months in a corner. Wow! That old Fisher was meant for these speakers! It's 27 watts per channel were never very potent connected to my old Mirage two way towers, but these high efficiency three ways just take it to new heights. I honestly have no need to turn it up past 3, and it goes to 10! The Fisher is controlling the large woofers very well and imaging beautifully. It's FM tuner is also amazing, highly sensitive and with excellent separation. It has no trouble pulling a station that my Marantz 2275 can't get even with an amplified antenna. It's just really a top notch piece of (what I guess many audiophiles would call) consumer electronics, but honestly if mated to the right speakers is capable of serious audio reproduction. Yes, perhaps it's sound is a little too warm and it would never be considered "fast" in it's sound reproduction but hey, for $350 plus another $100 in assorted capacitors, diodes and tubes this thing is great fun and a wonderful casual listen. I'd recommend one to any Klipsh head who wants to hear what tubes sound like, plus it's a really nice looking machine!

Well I finally got a chance to try and clean up the controls on the HK 630... with mixed results.

I talked to Craig and asked what Caig Detoxit products he recommended for the job and he suggested
D5 for cleaning 1st, and then F5 to lube after the cleaning.

I ordered the Detoxit from The Parts Connexion and there web recommended D100 and F100, which is
the same as Craig suggested, but in a more concentrated formula, so I went with the 100s.

It was tough find good spots to spray the stuff into the controls but I was able to do the D100 in the evening
and then the following day I hit it with the F100.

All the controls are now quiet and seem to have a nicer feel while turning them.
The Function control still has a little trouble hitting the desired function bang on, sometimes
you have to go one click by and then back to the input you want... but it does work.
The volume, treble, and base controls now work perfect, but the balance, although quiet,
doesn't want to fade properly.
It seems it wants to be on 100% right channel, 100% left channel, or 100% both... which is perfect.

I will probably flop the HK in once and a while as a different flavor from the 299D, and if I ever come
across a local pair of Chorus, Forte, or Cornwalls at a decent price I would have something
to drive them with.