Loudspeaker compression (why a 200+ WPC amp doesn't help KHorns)

psg

Btw, a CD source can contain at best only 96dB of dynamic range and it's usually going to be closer to 90dB. So in this example, if you're using a CD player for the playback source, the amplifier isn't going to be the limiting factor in loudest versus softest signal. It also doesn't help that digital noise floors tend to sound relatively nasty. Vinyl is going to be even worse, but it has the advantage of a much more pleasing sound to its noisefloor. 24-bit audio (like on dvd's) is capable of 144dB, but you're usually only going to get about 130dB or so. I believe human hearing is usually quoted to be around 140dB total, which puts some perspective on just how good our ears are.

Not really.....

If the CD was done by a competent recording engineer the noise floor will be random noise, aka 'white' (at c.93dB): it will sound like some tape hiss.

Signals far below it can be encoded and heard.

If the noise floor sounds bad.....it ain't the CDs fault: blame the incompetent recording engineer (they are out there!).

Mark

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's keep all of this in perspective. I recently heard some Maggies powered by two HUGE Audio Research amps, 300 Watts, IIRC. They were straining to put out more than 95 dB SPL average, C weighted, slow response. Khorns, Lascalas, etc. can do this easily with 10 watts, with ample headroom.

I am using more power than that because I am EQing the bass below 30 Hz by 4 dB. And I want enough headroom to handle any peaks that may be recorded.

Anyway, I hope no one here is routinely listening to 110+ dB SPL on their system. That is crazy.