My camera is back... Time for some photos of my La Scala rebuild

jhoak

OK... So the next question becomes... Where do I place the Klipsch emblems? I have a few brass on black and a pair of "vintage" copper badges. I'd like a pair of "pie slice" logos but I hear they're kind of hard to come by.

Help me properly ID my La Scalas.

Where do I place the Klipsch emblems? I have a few brass on black and a pair of "vintage" copper badges. I'd like a pair of "pie slice" logos but I hear they're kind of hard to come by.

Just call Klipsch and order a pair of "Jubilee logos". They'll likely have them in stock.

I got a pair for my 1974 La Scalas to replace the worn (and one was missing) plastic pie slice badge and the new metal ones are much better looking. I put them at opposite top corners, so the speakers look to be mirror-imaged right and left. The right speaker is in my avatar. The Jubilee logo is visible at the upper right corner of the speaker.

Thanks for all the knid words everyone.

What you see here represents a LOT of hours of work. With quite a bit yet to do. I just couldn't stand walking through my garage day after day looking at them and not listening to them. The only time I have to work on them is the weekends. I suspect that I could have finished in a week or so if that's all I had to work on.

I'm going to listen to the for a couple of weeks, maybe a month before I make the conversion to ported. The good news is that by virtue of the design it'll take me about 30 minutes to convert them from regular La Scalas to ported La Scalas. Then I get to play with port lengths. Again easy to do. I can swap out port shelfs in under 15 minutes.

For the last 3 months or so I've been listening to my "poor mans" Cornscalas. I got a pair of the PH-800 horns and the appropriate crossover bits from Mr. Crites. They're nice no doubt. They do have more bass extension. What they don't have is the accuracy of the La Scalas. At one point yesterday I had one La Scala and one Cornscala hooked up. By setting the old Marantz to mono and sliding the balance control I was able to give them a good A/B comparison. The La Scala won. Hands down.

I don't suppose there's a marked for Cornscala cabinets without drivers?

What's next? HMMM... I'm thinking tubes...

• 1 month later...

They started out as La Scala I single piece. I cut the tops off and built the tophats in the style of La Scala IIs.

At the time my camera had been sent to one of the outer moons of Neptune for repair so I didn't get any photos of the early stages of the project.

I flipped the bass bin over so the doghouse cover is up. The bottom of the tophat is open. The tophat has a sealed back with a port slot and a 7" deep port shelve. The top of the bass bins and the bottom of the tophats are built to make an airtight seal to each other. The woofers are Crites CW1526Cs. The squawker horns are Fastrac horns built by GotHover with F-55-M drivers and the tweeters are Crites CT125s. The crossovers are a pair of Crites A/4500s that have been converted to Type-As by changing out the tweeter capacitor. I'm saving my spare nickels and dimes to get a pair of ALK universals for them.

The original design concept was to give me as much configuration flexibility as possible. As they are today. the can be set up six different ways.

1) Conventional with sealed bass bins facing forward
2) Conventional with sealed bass bins facing backward (the back of the bass bin is veneered)
3) Ported with the bass bin facing forward
4) Ported with the bass bin facing backward
5) Sealed tophats (much larger internal volume) with the bass bins facing forward
6) Sealed tophats with the bass bin facing backwards.

I haven't tried all of the possible configurations. To date I've only run them with configurations 1 and 3.

I am VERY VERY happy with them. I suspect that they'll be with me for a very long time. [:D]

Extremely beautiful.

I wish I had the time, resources, patience and skill to come close to that.

When I restored beater La Scalas for a high school band room, I took the function over form route (see link below).

The slot porting with adjustable shelf is very intriguing. As to your assumption that your calculations regarding slot and shelf size equate to round port diameter and length, it make sense to me, but I would defer to djk and others.

In any case, you can experiment until it sounds best to you, then let the theoreticians and techno-snobs be damned.

Your comments about a rear facing bass bins are also interesting. Please let us know how that works. The acid test is how it sounds to you, but I suspect that too much high frequency sound comes out of the bass bin to sound right bouncing off the wall. You might be onto something like La Scala 901s.

I’ll be curious to read about your experiments with porting. From my experiments, I would do it to any La Scala that I owned. While it doesn’t contain a link to every post about ported La Scalas, it’s hits most of them (you’ve probably seen them already).

Ported La Scalas?

I emailed Dennis some time ago, concerning slot ports. He sent me this:

"The vented LaScala as I described runs to about 4.8 cu ft net. Two 4" ID by 7.25" long ports gives an Fb=35hz.

A 15" by 1" port would need to be about 5" long for a 35hz Fb.

A 13" by 2" port would need to be about 8-7/8" long for a 35hz Fb.

A 15" by 2" port would need to be about 10-5/8" long for a 35hz Fb

It helps to have a good software port model, the long narrow aspect ratio requires a different length than the same area in a square or round port. It also helps to start out a bit long, and trim it shorter to reach your target Fb."

Notice that the cubic inches for all of these is way different.

Somehow I missed this thread. Nice job! Greg

Coming from you Greg that is high praise indeed. Thanks!

I had a chance to see and hear the KHorns that you did for Mike L. I have two thoughts on those speakers and his system. (1) I can't find the words to describe them both visually and sonicly and (2) I hate it when someone "raises the bar" [;)]

Jeff

Do you still have the HK430? You got the better of the two. The one I kept dropped a channel. Perrhaps it's a fuse or cleaning issue, but it sits silent until I've nothing better to do.

I still have it, and it is working great... as far as I know. I have two, and my younger son is using one of them. But they are both working fine. I had to replace a couple of fuses in the one he was using at school, due to a thunderstorm, but replacing the fuses did the trick.

The one in my bedroom is not used as often as his, but it is rocking when it's on.

Bruce

Huh???

From the time I sent my D50 to Nikon for service until I got it back was almost 9 months. I figured that the only way it could take that long is if they had shipped it to one of their shops located on an off-world colony.

It was an attempt at humor... Forgive me... I'll know better next time...