A little help getting started, please

marzzz

Sorry if this is a noob question:

I am setting up a home theatre system. The room is 15' x 17" with 12' ceilings, and is open to the kitchen (one of those combined living room/kitchen areas common in AZ). Viewing distance is 15', so I selected a Samsung 63" Plasma. Our viewing interests are primarily TV shows (LOST, Top Chef?), cable movies, occasional rentals, and college football. I am NOT interested in the "Theatre Surround Experience" and wish to do something simple with decent sound (and ability to clearly hear dialog), but with the option to upgrade later. Basically I am looking for:

1) Pair of Bookshelf Speakers

2) Center Channel Speaker

3) Receiver

...and will consider adding a subwoofer later if needed. Other options would be something like Apple's iTV, and a DVD/Blu-Ray player. I am looking for bang-for-the-buck as opposed to spending high end, and of course the salesman are trying to up-sell us like no tomorrow. Any suggestions for a 3.0-3.1 system would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. If you aren't looking to use it for movies, but mostly for non-action TV shows, almost any set would work well. The RB-61 speakers are very nice, paired with an RC-62 would be a great combination. What is your budget? Definitely look at your local craigslist. You can pick up some great deals out there.

Welcome to the forums!

Klipsch has a page that shows recommended systems:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/home-theater-system/default.aspx?viewall=true

The ones listed also display surround speakers but at least you'll know what speakers are recommended to go with what.

I'd recommend the RB series for bookshelf speakers and depending on which RB you go with there's an RC series center speaker to match it:

RB-51 with RC-52 center (least expensive)

RB-61 with RC-62 center

RB-81 with RC-64 center (most expensive)

Lots of receivers work well with Klipsch. Yamaha, Denon, Harman/Kardon, Pioneer and Marantz are brands that many on here are very happy with.

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies!!

I am thinking I would want to go with a pair of RB-61's, and an RC-62 for the center- that's right in my price range. For a receiver, how about the Denon AVR-2310 Cl?

Also, the store I was in earlier today was recommending the Icon series, specifically a pair of XB-10's and a center speaker, but I get the impression that the XB-10's are for a smaller room? They were touting the Icon series as Klipsch's "new technology."

I was looking at a 2310CI at 6ave.com. They have a "name your own price" feature. I bid $525 and they countered with $549. But they're not in stock and I'm not confident in their 2-3 wk quoted arival time. So if you can live with a slight delay and you know you want a 2310CI, that's the lowest price I found. Also, I've heard they are a Denon-authorized internet seller, which has some implication on the warranty...I think.

Mike

i totally agree with checking out 6ave.com. in the last 3 months i picked up the rf-62's an rc-62 & a yamaha 665. got pretty sweet deals on all of them, and they offered free shipping. all of my stuff showed up in great condition. now i just have to save up more money to get my sub & surrounds [:D]

its worth checking out!

Bill

A few people here have now mentioned 6ave.com; Are they an "official" Klipsch dealer? Just a cursory look at their website and it seems the price for the gear I would want is the same as Crutchfield, for instance, and I would rather spend a couple extra bucks for a legitimate dealer. In the meantime, I will be ordering the RB-61s, RC-62, and the Denon AVR-2310. Thanks again to everyone here for their assistance and advice!

That's if you compare list price. Go to 6ave.com and look over to the right. There's a "name your own price" link. Enter the DENAVR2310CI sku and submit a bid price of $525. They'll respond in a day with $549. But you'll have to wait for a couple/few weeks until they come in.

Mike

if you take a peek at their customer service page, it states that 6ave is an authorized dealer for every brand that they sell.

Also, as mentioned before, their list prices are the same as crutchfield, & many others. you have to catch them while they are having their "Name Your Price" promotion. this is where you'll see some pretty significant savings[:)]

Good luck!

Bill

the sale is a week long. right now there is 1 day left, or at least the email i received from them said so. also, if you miss it this time around, it usually takes place in another 3 or 4 weeks.so that way you can make up your mind on what you want to buy, or save up more $$$.

Thanks again- I got in on the "Name Your Price" promo and am waiting to hear an answer. I basically offered them 60% of MSRP, we'll see how much they'll counter.

the sale is a week long. right now there is 1 day left, or at least the email i received from them said so. also, if you miss it this time around, it usually takes place in another 3 or 4 weeks.so that way you can make up your mind on what you want to buy, or save up more $$$.

So, I went to the website and made offers on all the equipment I was interested in, and they responded pretty quickly with either acceptance or a reasonable counter-offer. Problem is, when I went to actually order anything it all became unavailable......a call to their salespeople pretty much went the bait-and-switch route, or "maybe in about 4-6 weeks" they would have the gear available again. Oh well, any place else I should try?

that's unfortunate. i don't think i could wait 4-6 weeks either[:)] i guess i could consider myself lucky that i didnt buy an out of stock item.

i've heard other people mention vanns & onecall. i asked the same question when i was searching a few months ago. i know crutchfield has stellar customer service, but you're not likely to catch a sale, or get a "deal".

Good luck in your search

Well, I ended up getting a decent deal from OneCall, they discounted my order nicely from MSRP- not as much of a discount as 6ave.com, but at least they have everything in stock and I will be receiving it middle of next week! btw- I ended up ordering a subwoofer (RW-10d) and discovered that subwoofers are VERY low on the WAF quotient!

Thanks again everyone!