"Large Advent" Speakers - Can they be saved?

It's been a long time since I've been on the forum.... I've been distracted with a new job, getting a child through with college, and fighting with sciatica. That being said, I need some advice from folks who are more familiar with the "audio" field than I am.

Recently, I picked up a pair of large Advent speaker cabinets for free. The speakers and crossovers are long gone, but the boxes are in reasonably good condition. Remembering how impressive these speakers sounded back in the early 1970's, is there any way to "reverse engineer" these enclosures so I can find out which speakers and crossovers to use?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Dave in Nashville

What John said.

I had an advent woofer reconed at Orange County Speaker supply at www.speakerrepair.com

They did a very good job.

Also ran across a guy who rebuilds (or builds from scratch) advent crossovers. Found him on google. Sorry not to have his email or URL handy. I exchanged a few emails with him and thought he would be good to deal with.

At the time I was working on the advent project I found some replacement "fried egg" tweeter replacements on ebay.

It could be worth watching Ebay to see if you could run across a pair of beaters with good parts. Probably cheaper than buying them piece meal.

BTW, congrats on getting one through college.

Thanks for the quick replies and pointers.... I'm headed off to Ebay in a few minutes to see what I can find. I'll also see if I can find some reference to anyone who makes or has plans for Large Advent crossovers.

By the by, when I noted that the speakers and crossovers were "long gone," I meant gone... the boxes are empty.... That's why I asked about "reverse engineering."

Thanks again for the feedback,

Dave in Nashville

The networks were glued to the back of the speaker -- are the parts just missing and the masonite plates still attached? Toggle switch still attached, or gone? It might cost less just to buy a used pair than to rebuild your boxes from scratch. The crossovers would cause the biggest problem for you.

Try www.simplyspeakers.com. Located in FL they sell new replacement drivers for Large Advents among other brands. They're currenty offering replacement Large Advent woofers for $129 apiece. I have a pair of vintage-1980's LA's whose enclosures are near-mint and whose tweeters and Xovers are good but whose woofers rotted out some years ago. To preserve those fine speakers for use as front mains in my HT I ordered a pair of new woofers from Simply Speakers some three years ago. They fit and work perfectly.