harmony 880

endover

I'm ready to drop the cash and buy a Universal remote to clean my system up so my wife and the baby-sitter can actually watch what they want without having to play with 10 remote controls. The Harmony 880 is on Amazon right now for around $130 which sounds like a good deal. My concern is with some of the comments of folks that have had it for a few years say that the charging station and buttons may quit working and the warranty is out by then. Are those comments few and far between? What's your takes? Is it worth the money or should I look at somethine else???? There's other models for around $100 but the 880 sounds like a good deal for $30 more IF it doesn't break on me. My budget stops at the $130 mark. I'm not paying more than that for a remote.

Thanks!

The 880 is indeed an awesome unit. Just be advised that Logitech will not provide any support at all once the warranty runs out. I made the mistake of buying mine on ebay. It was advertised as a new unit, and came in new blisterpack packaging. When I had trouble with it, I phoned telephone support. They requested my SN, and then informed me it was put in service a year prior to when I received. They would therefore provide no customer service at all - NONE, NADA!!!!! I was left to try and sort it out on my own, which I did. I was not unfamiliar with the product, since it was my second Harmony remote. The customer service on my first one was fantastic. Due to this, I will never buy another Logitech product, except the Harmony. The Harmony remote control, IMHO, is really a unique product with no other alternative products in the marketplace.

I've had the 880 remote for about 3 years and the charging station did stop charging for me.

All I did was buy a wall charger and an extra battery on ebay for $20 and haven't had a problem since.

The LCD screen is showing it's age as it's not as clear and bright as it was, when new.

Other then that, it has been a great unit and haven't run across any electronics that it couldn't control (except the already mentioned Ps3)

JJ

Hey DoubleJ,

I assume you just found the same model battery's on ebay that are in the remote but what model charger did you buy? You guys are really tempting me to pull the plug and just buy the thing!!!!!

I can't remember the exact eBay seller, but this is the same charger I purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Logitech-Harmony-880-890-720-Remote-Battery-w-Charger_W0QQitemZ190343236822QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c51574cd6

JJ