Marantz + Klipsch = Great Match?

Tim_in_NC

Hi Guys ...

I've owned Klipsh products now going on almost 17 years and I've always used either Yamaha or Harman Kardon Receivers to mate with them. I've lately been pondering replacing my H/K AVR 7300 for a receiver with the newer HD audio decoding as well as HDMI inputs and outputs ...

I've been considering picking up the new Marantz SR6004 and pairing this with my 7 Series System (RC-7, RF-7, etc ...)

May eventually add on a Emotiva 5 way Power Amp but for now, I would just like to have a somewhat powerful, clean amp with HDMI and Newer HD Decoding ...

So, Do any of you use Marantz with your Klipsch equipment and have any recommendations?

Thanks, TIM

i dont own any marantz but i do know marantz makes an awesome product. I do believe i have seen some configs with marantz on here, im sure it would be a match made in heaven. I do wonder how HK and yamaha have been your main two, almost 2 different balls games to me.

My owned the SR8400 for awhile with my RF-7. It sounded wonderful. I have since sold it and I ended up moving to the emo XPA-5 and using my HK 630 as a pre-amp. The amp in the marantz is far superiour to the HK(hands down). It never got hot, but it was warm to touch occasionally. Marantz makes a nice warm musical sounding receiver and it pairs well with klipsch.They are also build very nice. You can always tell a nice amp when it weighs a ton. Of course, it didn't weigh anywhere near what my xpa-5 does...lol

One thing to note though, I did notice that the bass levels seem to be a little mild and I did not like that xover options in the marantz(only could crossover to 80hz...I have my HK 630 xovered to 60hz)... though this is pretty standard. THX standards are 80hz and that's probably why most receivers use it that, but I liked my klipsch to play a little deeper...I just looked at the manual and it appears the xover on the Sr6004 can be set from 40hz-180hz. I would say go for it. Curious as to how much you are going to be getting it for?

I do wonder how HK and yamaha have been your main two, almost 2 different balls games to me.

I agree.

I have a vintage Marantz & an HK 7200 in other systems; very similar sound & very nice. Don't know nothing about new marantz though.

My first reciever was a Pioneer VSX-1015tx and was actually a horrible combo, IMO. I then upgraded to a Denon 3805, which was somewhat better, a little more power, but still, not the sound I was looking for.. Maybe a little on the harsh side.. Then I purchased a marantz sr8001 and I immediately knew that marantz and klipsch were THE perfect match, at least for me. I now own a SR-9600 and it just kicks some serious as_!! I strongly recommend marantz with klipsch..

I have two "conflicting" Marantz + Klipsch experiences. One stellar one not so much

First the not so much... I was running an Outlaw Audio 990 PrePro feeding a Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp driving a pair of Cornwalls at front, Heresys at surounds and Academy at center. Everything was crossed over to the IB sub at 80Hz as I recall. I guess I failed to see the part about 4 ohm loads on the amp. It never did like the speakers. It would run hot, sound bad, shut down and just generally give me fits. I sold the amp and the buyer hooked up a set of 8 ohm speakers and the last time I talked to him he gushed about the "Marantz" sound. Go figure...

Now the stellar... I'm currently running my Cornscalas on a 74 vintage Marantz 2240 receiver. 40 watts per channel and it sounds spectacular. So much so that since installing it a few weeks ago I have not powered up my Pioneer Elite the first time. And the Pioneer is no slouch. It's no match for the Marantz though.

All of that was to say that for the most part there's a great "synergy" between Klipsch and Marantz. Pay close attention to the impedence matching and you'll be a happy camper for years to come.

Enjoy the music and have fun!!!