Bell's instead of La scalas

robroy3300

Hello again everyone,and thankyou for all the great advise. But upon close examination of past forum discussions,(thankyou for the Belle plans formica!) I have decided to focus my efforts on building a set of Bells due to thier more pleasing astetics. They are just about the same "build" as a La scala, plus or minus a few extra parts and measurements-I was unaware of this untill I did some past "Forum Diving"

I know all of this has been done before, but I am a true DIY kinda person,and a wanna-be audiophile! LOL

P.S. I assume all the drivers are the same as a Lascala,right?-And will a K-55 be as good for a mid horn (squalker) as the K-400?

Best of luck... I am of the reverse orientation, being an audiophile first, but trying to become more adept at the DIY thing. (In the past two years, I have built a Sonosub and a traditional wood box sub - Baltic Birch). I have had the itch to build a LaScala or Corwall-LaScala Hybrid for a few years now, but am afraid my tools, skill level, and free time are not going to allow it yet...

Thankyou for your insight;I was wondering about the bass response and duely noted that the construction of the belle compared to the la scala might inherently produce produce better base response due to less resonation-in essence,a stronger box! Do you think the frequency response might drop a little?

Thanks for your response!

After studying the plans,I think it might be a bit easyer-the belle that is,due to that very sharp angle you have to reproduce!

I also think it might even be a stronger construction-the bass bin that is. But with just a regular home tablesaw and ordinary woodworking tools,that angle I hear is a bear!

Rob

I don't think it would be that hard to do the angle for the LS.

If you tilt your blade to 60 degrees you can run the pieces through vertically, not hard if you make a vertical extension of your fence and use a feather board to keep your work tight to the fence.

Or leave the blade at 90 degrees and make a sled angled at 60 that you can clamp your doghouse pieces to.

How about those belle plans?

Edit// found some.

Don't you still have to make some 60 degree cuts on the doghouse pieces on the belle?

-Josh