cd recordings and quality of...

gyrene

getting interested in a new cd player.Thinking about a sony 222es.

Question I guess is this or these...how do I determine the quality of the cd's recording?

Used to be a code aad I believe but thats done away with nowadays.

And how do I determine what cd player to use? The digital analog converter?

I'm looking for a used cd player less than $200.

The code was a marketing ploy, the idea being that you would spend more on a DDD disc (DigitallyRecorded, Digitally Mixed, Digitally Mastered). Even today, a huge number of releases are delivered to the mastering house in an analog format (1/2" 2-track being the most popular high-end) and of course the last "D" was meaningless anyway, how else were you going to master a digital disc anyway?

There are HUGE differences in the sound of CD players but $200 isn't going to buy you much, even used. If you can push your budget a little, the ever excellent NAD makes a nice entry single player the C-515BEE for around $300.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC515BEE

I've not heard it but the manufacturer is well known for packing a lot of sound into a simple package at low cost.

I'm looking for a used cd player less than $200.

I know this is not a CD only player but I have one and it is great with CD's and DVD's. I have not played any SACD's or DVD-A's yet. It works great as a transport and a player using the onboard Wolfson dacs. Built like a tank.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-DV-Sp1000-DVD-player-DVD-Audio-SACD-player-cd_W0QQitemZ280415072612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDVD_Players_Recorders?hash=item414a0a7164

Here is a thread with a couple of photos of mine showing the guts inside.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/121839/1228250.aspx#1228250

If you want a cd only player, the Onkyo DX-7555 is excellent also. Same internals/DACS as the SP1000 without the video and SACD and DVD-A capabilities. This was my first choice when I was in the market for a CD player but I bought the universal player instead.

Bill

It is difficult to determine the quality of a CD without listening to it, preferably on your own system. These days many of the newer releases are mastered for max loudness, which involves limiting the musical peaks and compressing the dynamic range of the recording. This will sound better on the radio, and when the CD is played on systems with limited dynamic range, but worse on a better system.

As for an inexpensive CD player, the OPPOs are hard to beat, and can be bought brand new for less than $200.

I have a Philips 963SA upsampling (to 196) mlti-format player that I will sell. It has an upgraded power supply (Blackgate mod per Leok's method) and it is quite a player. Really nice bass. It is mint and I have the box, remote and manual. Originally a $600 player without the upgrade. I'll sell it for $225.

If I didn't have my Rega Planet I'd be all over this one.

Frank W.

I have a Philips 963SA upsampling (to 196) mlti-format player that I will sell. It has an upgraded power supply (Blackgate mod per Leok's method) and it is quite a player. Really nice bass. It is mint and I have the box, remote and manual. Originally a $600 player without the upgrade. I'll sell it for $225.

I'll take it.

>As for an inexpensive CD player, the OPPOs are hard to beat, and can be bought brand new for less than $200.

If your remove the qualification, I fully agree. I believe I have demonstrated in front of quite a few skeptical horn heads that CD quality is about engineering far more than expensive players. The OPPO folks have implemented the quite clear and well understood (but often ignored) algorithms for digital playback with components that are more than adequate to retrieve well recorded material accurately. If you pay more and have VERY practiced ears, you may hear something that justifies your extra cost. But it won't be any more accurate. That's my story and I'm stickn' to it.

Dave

I'll take it.

Just getting back to this. Please drop me an email if you are interested.