Guest davidness

Guest davidness

My current setup:

(2) Klipsch RF-7 Fronts
(1) Klipsch RC-7 Center
(2) Klipsch RB-75 Surrounds
(1) Klipsch RS-7 Rear
(1) Klipsch RSW-10 Sub

I plan to get another single RS-7 and probably swap my rears & surrounds, as I do know the RS-7 is a surround, not a rear channel, but this 'fits' my room best for the time being. But forget about the rears & surrounds for now.

My Yamaha RX-Z7 receiver/amp provides support for front 'presence' speakers. I want to use a pair of RS-7's here, one, because they fit my situation really well, and I believe the front presence should be a sort of 'dispersed' sound field. Or is this a really bad idea, and should I look for a forward firing speaker, which for me would probably mean a pair of Klipsch RC-35's. Both are about the same price. I figured the RS-7's were the better choice since it uses the same horns as the rest of my current setup, and I believe the woofers are (nearly) the same as the RC-7 (and of course my other RS-7).

So, for in order to match up best with my current setup, and to provide the right soundfield from the (high and above) front presence speakers, should I look for a apir of RS-7's or a pair of RC-35's?

Guest davidness

Here is the front. The front Presence speakers are atop the racks. There are a pair of B&W's up there now, but I want to replace them with Klipsch.

post-38614-13819512231782_thumb.jpg

I don't know how the Yamaha works but with the newer Denons coming out, ideally another pair of RB-75s would be what I would look at. The next best thing would be to find a pair of RB-5s to stick up their, imo. Then again, I am not familiar with how the Yamaha presence speakers work in comparison to the Denon and Onkyo offerings coming out.

Btw, check out this thread: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/124229.aspx

I really think another pair of RB-75's would be extreme overkill for presence speakers. Bookshelf speakers are pretty "directional" and would have to almost be pointed at the sweet spot to get any kind of "presence" from them. I'd see if you can find a pair of RS-3's (smaller than the RS-7) and are more of a wide dispersion (sprayer) that would most likely fit the bill. However, I'd see if there was a way to maybe tilt them down a tad since they're almost ceiling height.. Just my .02....

..I'd see if you can find a pair of RS-3's (smaller than the RS-7) and are more of a wide dispersion (sprayer) that would most likely fit the bill....

Then the Yamaha "presence speakers" are different than what is in the newer technology of the Denons and Onkyo AVRs where they recommend direct radiating speakers similar to your mains and not WDST speakers for the height or wide seakers.

I don't understand what your trying to do.

The L C R speakers should be all that is needed..................Period.

This "Front Presence" stuff sound like another gambit from companies to get folks to buy speakers................

(not going to say this correctly_) but don't you get extra sound waves bouncing around the room ? distorting the sound ?

Guest davidness

The Yamaha RX-Z7 (and probably others) has DSP settings that replicate the acoustic environment of many famous venues around the world. These DSP programs will make use of the front presence speakers to add height to the sound field. It works quite well, and really adds to the allusion of being in venues like the Roxy Theater, or famous European Concert Halls. TO get the most from the Yamaha DSP modes, you must add presence speakers.

I agree that another set of RB-75's are too expensive for this purpose (at least for my budget), and the RS-7's will be a better choice. And I like them over the RS-3 becasue they're a better match to the rest of my equipment. But I'm still open to other opinions.

The Yamaha RX-Z7 (and probably others) has DSP settings that replicate the acoustic environment of many famous venues around the world. ...I agree that another set of RB-75's are too expensive for this purpose (at least for my budget), and the RS-7's will be a better choice. And I like them over the RS-3 becasue they're a better match to the rest of my equipment. But I'm still open to other opinions.

I am with Bill on why you wouldn't want to add a WDST speaker to your front soundstage, unless that is what Yamaha recommends. I also agree that RB-75s would be overkill and a smaller direct radiating speaker (tilted down) would probably suffice...then again, your RX-Z7 should be able to drive your RF-7/RC-7 without needing "presence speakers." I am curious why other Yammi Owners haven't commented because this technology has been out for a while and you would think in a Speaker Forum there would be others using this feature....Have you done a search? [^o)]

I am curious why other Yammi Owners haven't commented because this technology has been out for a while and you would think in a Speaker Forum there would be others using this feature....Have you done a search? Hmm

Most Yamaha AV receivers can power presence channels or rear surround, but not both at once, so you can have 5.1 with Presence or 7.1 without. The OP has the top of the line receiver, which can power 9 or so channels at once, as well as stereo subs, for a 9.2 setup. Naturally, all that makes for a quite expensive unit, so there are not many forum members with one.

I am with Bill on why you wouldn't want to add a WDST speaker to your front soundstage, unless that is what Yamaha recommends. I also agree that RB-75s would be overkill and a smaller direct radiating speaker (tilted down) would probably suffice...then again, your RX-Z7 should be able to drive your RF-7/RC-7 without needing "presence speakers." I am curious why other Yammi Owners haven't commented because this technology has been out for a while and you would think in a Speaker Forum there would be others using this feature....Have you done a search?

You changed my mind... How about a pair of front ported RB-25's tilted down? They are fairly small and would fit the bill perfectly... RB-35's would probably be too large to fit on top...

I looked at the link. I still Strongly still say NO WAY. This to me is like Tim the Tool man syndrome ..............if 1 is good, then 2 has to be better..............

I think this is all smoke and mirrors to get people to BUY MORE JUNK...........that is Not need to produce good sound in a HT presentation !

KLIPSCH still only talks about 5.1 systems..............and I for one, believe that they more than anyone else on the Market, knows what works and what does Not.

Save your Money....................

Thank you, and now I feel better..........

good luck, whatever you decide.

I have a Yamaha Receiver and utilize the Presence setting. I use RB-10's as the sound from the Presence Mode is very faint. Personally I love this setting. It opens up the front sound stage very much. It also has an additional feature that allows the dialogue from the center to faintly come from the presence speakers. This helps hide or make the center more difficult to localize.

My feeling is don't knock it till you've tried it.