Crossover capacitors

jason str

Metallized polypropylene caps, 200 volt rating or higher, are what you want to use in your crossover. Solen Fast Caps are readily available and inexpensive, and many other manufacturers sell this type of cap. There are crossover experts on this forum, Bob Crites, DeanG, and Al K, who will probably chime in with more detailed info on your specific model crossover and be able to get you what you need.

I'm probably going to get seriously flamed for this but... I think that if working within Klipsch designed crossovers changing caps will provide at best incremental improvements regardless of budget. That said changing out the entire crossover to an ALK or Dean G is an entirely different matter

If you're looking for "bang for buck" upgrades to your La Scalas you need to be looking at trachorns. Personally I have a pair of the horns built by GotHover in my La Scalas and could not be happier. I've heard a pair built by Greg Roberts trachorns installed in Mike Lindsey's Klipschorns but those speakers are on a whole different level from mine as they should be. Stunning doesn't begin to describe the experience of those KHorns. I have not heard a pair of ALK trachorns but I have no doubt that they too are an amazing upgrade.

OK guys... I'm decked out in my very best Nomex... Flame away :)

I don't know if GotHover is going to chime in here, but he has some really interesting ideas when it comes to caps. Particularly, the use of Dayton film and foil bypass capacitors. I am going to try to use a similar idea in my Cornscalas using a combo of large Gen I and small Gen II Sonicaps used in parallel as they state on their website.

I've noticed in the pictures of ALK's crossovers that he also uses the bypass caps. Still, I agree with the others that a good Trachorn is the ticket. You cannot beat the mellowness they give the horns and vocals.[H]

I'm probably going to get seriously flamed for this but... I think that if working within Klipsch designed crossovers changing caps will provide at best incremental improvements regardless of budget. That said changing out the entire crossover to an ALK or Dean G is an entirely different matter

No flames, you are exactly correct. The original post did not make it clear that he already had a Bob Crites upgrade for his crossover. You are not going to hear much, if any, difference between what Crites uses and any other high quality cap.

On the older Klipsch models, an automatic cap change is in order because of the age of the components.

Guest David H

I don't know if GotHover is going to chime in here, but he has some really interesting ideas when it comes to caps.

No need to chime in, the content has been covered accurately. The Sonicaps used in your current upgrade are excellent.

Quote: "Film and foil polypropylene capacitors exhibit some well known advantages over mettallized designs. They provide superior sonic detail, lower ESR, lower dissipation factor, and due to the extended foil construction, are non-inductive. These capacitors are ideal for by-passing mylar and metallized polypropylenes in loudspeaker crossover networks to pick up characteristics."

Best Cap I have heard! Duelund by far VSF Copper (the square on the
right), the Silver is
even better or the Cast. Their Graphite resistors with a negative
temperature coefficient (long slender brown) are very affordable
and way ahead of the competition IMO. Even when used in parallel with
my tweeters they are the sweetest!

Posted Image

SET12