Fort Hood Texas

Me Loves Khorns

Of course, when they first start out, in many states, they all go through thousands (literally) of hours of supervised practice with regular sessions with their supervisor / consultant, who is a therapist with more experience.

I guess that helps to weed out the therapists who would recommend tin-foil hats to keep out the brain waves from the CIA and the extra-dimensional aliens they work for... [*-)]

Yes, the supervision sessions almost always screen out those few psychotics who are very occasionally admitted to a program.

Moving away from psychosis, there is flakiness. Some graduate programs have a better flake filter than others.

Therapists having therapists reduces stress.

I have known fairly well approximately 300 graduate students in Clinical Psychology who were training to be therapists. Almost all were lovely, perceptive, compassionate, and insightful people. Perhaps two -- less than 1 % -- shouldn't have been in the program ... one left, and one failed to get a license. .... That's what should happen.

The ratio of applicants to those admitted is high. I remember one year when we took 12 out of approximately 200 applicants, all of whom were fully qualified academically and experientially. I have heard of institutions that take 5 out of about 350.

Therapists are willing to admit that they have some inner turmoil, perhaps more willing than people in most other professions. Some believe that a "wounded healer," everything else being equal, is singularly qualified to be a good listener and have the empathy that helps heal. To continue the reference from 2,000 years ago that I used in an earlier post, if you work hard to remove the great plank from your own eye, "then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

All of that having been said, It only takes one ... with a weapon ...

• Like 1

I remember our military would keep Japanese Americans from fighting the Japanese in the Pacific. Similar programs were in place to keep a soldier from "fighting one's own race" when possible.

There might have been issues involved here that caused the turmoil.

Seems like he perceived his upcoming deployment as being against his faith.

My faith is strong and I'm sure I'd have issues fighting against my Christian faith.

Bless all and their loved ones. May the healing be kind to all.

I can only hope this isn't swept under the carpet and the truth comes out. At least as it's best understood in the investigation.

I'm sure there's going to be a lot of different angles shown in the news on this.

Let the truth be told as it is. Openly and honestly. It's the only way we can understand and learn.

• Like 1

Good post, HarryO.

Given the nature of war and especially with the Iraq Invasion, I find it hard to believe that a Muslim Therapist would be a good choice for troops having issues fighting on that front unless the doctor had a proven temperament...I definitely don't think any therapist should be proselytizing a Religion, but can see where in a clinical setting explaining about similar tenets that Islam and Christianity share could be beneficial to deprogram a returning individual.

I remember our military would keep Japanese Americans from fighting the Japanese in the Pacific. Similar programs were in place to keep a soldier from "fighting one's own race" when possible.

There might have been issues involved here that caused the turmoil.

Seems like he perceived his upcoming deployment as being against his faith.

My faith is strong and I'm sure I'd have issues fighting against my Christian faith.

Bless all and their loved ones. May the healing be kind to all.

I can only hope this isn't swept under the carpet and the truth comes out. At least as it's best understood in the investigation.

I'm sure there's going to be a lot of different angles shown in the news on this.

Let the truth be told as it is. Openly and honestly. It's the only way we can understand and learn.

My wife and I were having a discussion about this, and we both found it disturbing that as a Muslim he was being deployed to either Iraq or Afghanistan. Were his views on this made clear to his superiors??....Is there a policy in place that would have allowed him to defer from deployment to an arena that would have put his beliefs at odds with his orders?? Just questions...certainly nothing can justify his actions.

If the news reports are correct, then Yes. I heard a congressman being interviewed on Friday morning. He said that during a conference this doctor said that infidels should be beheaded. According to the report, several of his peers said that they believed that he would do something bad. He should have reconciled his beliefs prior to taking the military oath. In WWII, were catholics exempt from fighting in Italy because that country was predominately catholic? Muslims are claiming that their religion isn't about hate and killing non-muslims, so this shouldn't be about religion at all then, right?

...Muslims are claiming that their religion isn't about hate and killing non-muslims, so this shouldn't be about religion at all then, right?

Right...After all, Muslims aren't the only ones killing innocent people and this tragedy was committed by one man and not a Religion.

actually, i was talking about the war. when the shooter stood on the desk and yelled a religious statement before starting to shoot people--it's pretty obvious that he was doing what he thought was required of him.

actually, i was talking about the war. when the shooter stood on the desk and yelled a religious statement before starting to shoot people--it's pretty obvious that he was doing what he thought was required of him.

I am not going there given what was on the cover letters of Briefings sent to the POTUSA from his Secretary of Defense during the Iraq Invasion. [:|] http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8056207.stm

. when the shooter stood on the desk and yelled a religious statement before starting to shoot people--it's pretty obvious that he was doing what he thought was required of him.

Could be. Or, he could have just been using his religion as a rationalization.

As to individual acts of violence or war itself, I think belief systems often get the blame -- whether they are atheist belief systems (like Soviet or Chinese Communism, for instance) or theist ones, like Islam, Christianity, or Judaism. Right now there is Hindu violence against Muslims, Christians, and the lowest class (formerly called the Untouchables), triggered, but not really caused, by the Muslims and Christians telling the lowly ones that they are not lowly, but Children of God.

• Like 1

It's strange and sad to see how often good beliefs are used to justify evil actions...

I think it would be fair and accurate to say that followers of every major religion you can name, with the possible exception of Buddhists, have over the centuries committed terrible deeds, even atrocities, and felt justified because of their "superior" beliefs.

It's strange and sad to see how often good beliefs are used to justify evil actions...

True Pat...and that argument can be used on both sides in this particular case. Again I have to say that I am not condoning his actions, I feel I have to tread lightly.

One thing that has been mentioned repeatedly is that suspicions (and there were many) about the future shooter were not brought forward, to avoid any hint of discrimination. Political correctness may have played a role in keeping important info from the authorities, with tragic results.