Gluing Up Loose Tube Bases

thebes

I think I saw someone (Marvel?) answer this question awhile back but I can't find it doing a search.

In other words what do you use to re-glue a loose tube base. It's a common problem, especialy on some of the old radio tubes.

I use 5 minute epoxy. It is composed of two parts - Mix 50/50

I use a toothpick and put a dab of epoxy on it and then press the epoxy in between the base and the glass all around the tube. I then follow up with a 'wet wipe' and press the remaining expoxy into the grove and wipe the base and glass clean of any remaining epoxy. This will hold forever!

I think I saw someone (Marvel?)

Not me...

I would think that most epoxies would break down with the heat. Maybe some jbweld... Indifferent

Ah, the reason I checked in. JB Weld has been used to mend cracked engine blocks successfully. It can handle tube heat just fine.

I've never known how far from Texas it's available, but only real welding is a better bond for heat and pressure than JB Weld.

Dave

Very cool and thanks for the responses.

I've noticed a couple of tubes I've been testing that have loose bottoms will read great when twisted slightly, but bum out when just sitting there. I'm thinking since the JB weld is quick setting it'll do the trick, but the surround glue could probably be injected for a cleaner look.

Does anybody know what they originally used in gluing up tubes? Whatever it is, it's amazing how well it has held up over the decades.

I'm thinking since the JB weld is quick setting it'll do the trick, but the surround glue could probably be injected for a cleaner look.

JB Weld epoxy (Yes it's an epoxy) sets up in about 30 minutes and 5 minute epoxy sets up in about 5 minutes - But what do I know, I've only glued hundreds of tube bases.

Your choice.....

But what do I know,

I didn't mean my comment to be critical. I just know that some epoxies don't handle heat very well. I.m glad it's working for you.

I would love to hear your system if I ever get to Minnesota. I should be up that way next summer. Love to hear your Moondogs, too, since I think they are pretty awesome amps.

Bruce

Original JB Weld takes a while to set to solid. I'd agree it "sets" in 30 minutes, but that is not a bond, It takes several hours and at least 24 hours cure to get a solid bond from it. At that point, I believe it would hold a vacuum under a couple of hundred degrees if required.

JB makes a "new" quick set that gets pretty warm and bonds pretty well in about 5 minutes, but I don't know about its characteristics compared to the original. I stick with the original except for things that really need quick set and where extremes aren't an issue. A vacuum tube base is downright cold compared to an engine block, so I suspect the advice of 5 minute epoxy is just fine...especially since it comes from someone whose been doing it for years.

Sheesh, I've been using the stuff (JB) for at least 30 years, and have a number of repairs still doing fine at about that length of time. I'd spread it on bread if I needed something to really "stick to my ribs."

Dave

Very cool and thanks for the responses.

I've noticed a couple of twins I've been testing that have loose bottoms will read great when twisted slightly, but bum out when just sitting there. I'm thinking since the JB weld is quick setting it'll do the trick, but the surround glue could probably be injected for a cleaner look.

Does anybody know what they originally used in gluing up tubes? Whatever it is, it's amazing how well it has held up over the decades.

Marty, I corrected your typo.

I would love to hear your system if I ever get to Minnesota. I should be up that way next summer. Love to hear your Moondogs, too, since I think they are pretty awesome amps.

Bruce

Well, you are certainly invited! - Just send me a PM before and I'll SET somthing up. I have Welborne StarChief 45 amps (My favorite), 2A3 Moondogs and 300B Laurels.

Original JB Weld takes a while to set to solid. I'd agree it "sets" in 30 minutes, but that is not a bond, It takes several hours and at least 24 hours cure to get a solid bond from it. At that point, I believe it would hold a vacuum under a couple of hundred degrees if required.

JB makes a "new" quick set that gets pretty warm and bonds pretty well in about 5 minutes, but I don't know about its characteristics compared to the original. I stick with the original except for things that really need quick set and where extremes aren't an issue. A vacuum tube base is downright cold compared to an engine block, so I suspect the advice of 5 minute epoxy is just fine...especially since it comes from someone whose been doing it for years.

Sheesh, I've been using the stuff (JB) for at least 30 years, and have a number of repairs still doing fine at about that length of time. I'd spread it on bread if I needed something to really "stick to my ribs."

Dave

I agree, It's quality stuff.

I used Josh Brown Weld on my old station wagon.

When I turbocharged it I had to add a fitting for the oil return line.

I took some Josh Brown Weld and used it to hold a piece of small pipe in a hole I drilled in the oil pan.

It held just fine and never leaked.

I think I ended up replacing it when I changed the size of my oil drain line and I used a proper bulkhead AN fitting.

Peace,

Josh

Another thing I thought I would mention as far as heat on the Tube.

- Tonight I was listening to my 45 Amps and I grabbed a hold of the tube bases and had no trouble holding my fingers on the tube base where the epoxy would be applied. I am guessing that the Temp was around 120 degrees F. This was after the amps were powered up for about 5 hours. Most of the heat on a Tube is on the very top of the Glass Envelope. This is extremely hot to the touch. But where you would epoxy the Base to the glass it is very warm, but not near hot enough to destroy any epoxy.

Try this and it will alleviate all your fears on this matter.

Tonight I was listening to my 45 Amps and I grabbed a hold of the tube bases and had no trouble holding my fingers on the tube base where the epoxy would be applied.

Really... how hot can a 45 get? I bet some 6550s would be smokin'. [;)]