info that needs to be shared

woodsman

While I don't post here much, I still do read and enjoy the forum daily. I just want to share my recent nightmare in the hopes that this does not happen to any of you.

I will make this story short. We purchased a 2009 Honda Odyssey at the end of July. On the test drive the vehicle felt fine, but once I reached a smooth road, I knew we had a problem. Yes, it all started on day 1. Well my father was on his death bed, I had to make that my focus. He passed away about a month after we got the van, and then spent about a month helping my mom get things sorted. Then it was time to get the van problems sorted. There is almost a constant jerky action at speeds between 20-40mph. It downshifts very hard, along with a jerking action. At speeds of 20-25mph, when you let off the gas pedal, it jerks. I had donned the van, the jerkin the gerkin wagon. When I 1st brought it to the dealership and took a mechanic for a ride, they agreed, YES, you have a problem here, and we will fix it. So it was a software update for the computer. That did not fix a thing. So fix #2 was a new torque convertor. Still the same issues. The mechanics still agreed that there are issues and they will get them fixed. So fix #3 was a new transmission and another new torque convertor. While the 3rd fix made it a bit smoother, most of the issues are still there. So back to the dealership, and this is where it got ugly. It went from everyone being nice and agreable to, this is all normal. The district manager was there and he stated that all those issues, were within normal specs. But if all this time, they were not and you were replacing high dollar parts, how did they suddenly become normal? It is because there is no other fix for the problems the van has. I was about to get out of it on the lemon law, and needed them to do that important 4th fix. But, I hit a brick wall.

These problems exist with the honda 3.5l v6 from 2007 until present. Honda is still putting out vehicles without making any changes and no fix. Not sure what percentage are out there with these same problems. We have a 2007 Saturn Vue that has the same engine. I can duplicate all the same issues in that Vue as with the Odyssey. Now the Vue did not start having these issues until 20,000 miles.

It is really hard for me to believe that Honda has sunk to this level. I own and have owned many fine honda products from motorcycles to lawn equipment. I enjoy them all and they have all been outstanding products.

I am not alone with this problem, here is a link. Read up and inform yourself before you get stuck with a nightmare.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=0e2f249d22c751997cf3105d2416af58&threadid=63842

Just trying to look out for a fellow member.

Hey Bill, not sure of the next move. From speaking with lawyers that I know, they would not fight the one on one. Honda would have some seriously good corporate lawyers that would be hard to beat. The only way to win is to find that RIGHT lawyer and do a class action law suite. I have spent a lot of time and energy up to this point. It has consumed my life, and I hate that it has. Now how much more shall I let it go on.

Think I will cut my losses and dump the piece o sheeet.

My goal here was just to warn all of you good folks.

This is such a shocking story! I suggest contacting and writing to Consumer Reports in addition to your other moves, since CR is very influential and seems to keep track and pointedly comment if it gets many complaints about a problem. Good luck!

Also write or contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission about this. They are like dogs on meat when safey, hazards are concerned !

CPSC Home Page

Consumer Product Safety Commission: official Federal Agency website, including recalls, reports, alerts.
www.cpsc.gov/ - Cached - Similar

Good Luck, i had many issues with my new 2004 Ford Focus and spent days at dealerships only to get blown off by Ford's independant survey team who not only would not go for a drive to see and feel the problems with the car, after i received a letter from i think from the CEO of Ford Motor Company that there was no issue to resolve and pretty much "piss off"though not in those words.

I will look through my paperwork and find it if i can and post it.

The steering wheel shakes at most speeds and the passenger seat vibrates to the same tune. Its still there after new tires and 70,000 miles.

The door's do not open on hot sunny days, the latch has been looked at and adjusted and lubricated to no prevail. (still there too)!

Loud clunk when backing up on an incline, on the test drive with the assistant shop manager i showed the noise to the man, returned to shop and was told i was hot rodding the motor to make the noise. Now anybody knows when you are starting out on an incline you need to give it some gas or you will stall and need to stop or roll back into the car behind you.

Drivers seat right side is broken and needs to be replaced eventually, this happened after one year and still has not collapsed yet i just drive with the "mean lean"

My big feet get stuck behind the vent to the right of my gas petal, already caused one small accident.

Pros of the Focus handling, fuel economy, peppy,always starts.

woodsman,

I am so sorry to hear this. This is a definite brick wall.

Hope this doesn't sound silly, but the only thing that would get Honda's attention would be to have some sort of clever video go viral. Then they'd do the right thing out of public attention to them being unreasonable slimeballs.

contact your local network tv affiliate and see if they have a consumer reporter. those guys can hound a company and bring quite a bit of public scrutiny that it can force them to deal with you--if for no other reason than to shut you up. the whole squeeky wheel getting the oil concept. i'm curious though, if you can get a qualified independent mechanic to say there is definitely a problem can that negate the dealer's sudden claim that it is normal? tell them that when you get to court you are going to give the keys to the judge and suggest that he take it for a drive himself and see if it feels "normal." Good luck getting this resolved--i hope you get relief from this mess.

Is there a speed that every thing smooths out?. If the answer is yes one or both of the CV axles are out of round. doesn't seem like the Dealer could miss the obvious but nothing surprises me anymore.

It's all in the transmission, they screwed it up when they made it electronically controlled. It does ride nice and smooth once your in 5th gear and cruising down the highway at 70-75mph. It is the inbetween speeds that the tranny does not know what it wants to do. Thats why it has all the jerking, actually Hondas term for it is, JITTER. I have another term for it that I cannot post here.

We had a problem with the last new car we purchased, a Nissan Stanza Wagon, 1986. It pulled to the left after a left turn but drove normaly after a right turn. They changed all the front end parts and tranny and yet the problem persisted. We went trhough tires at a frantic rate and theyt were never able to fix the problem though the regional managers did admit that there was a problem. Bad cars happen. I had one and was never so glad as to when it was gone and I am sorry you seem to have one also.

On the other hand, we have been Chrysler owners since 1974 without a break and they ALL have been great cars and trucks. We currently drive a 1999 Dodge 1/2 t truck and a 2004 Dodge Stratus. I love both of them.

We had a problem with the last new car we purchased, a Nissan Stanza Wagon, 1986. It pulled to the left after a left turn but drove normaly after a right turn. They changed all the front end parts and tranny and yet the problem persisted. We went trhough tires at a frantic rate and theyt were never able to fix the problem though the regional managers did admit that there was a problem. Bad cars happen. I had one and was never so glad as to when it was gone and I am sorry you seem to have one also.

On the other hand, we have been Chrysler owners since 1974 without a break and they ALL have been great cars and trucks. We currently drive a 1999 Dodge 1/2 t truck and a 2004 Dodge Stratus. I love both of them.

I miss our Nissan Stanza Wagon.

OTOH, I can't stand the Dodge Stratus.

I love my Kia though :)

There have been a couple of Honda service issuesrecently in this office. They finally addressed them but in all cases it was a real fight. I find this surprising after all of the fine Honda products that I have owned without issue. this is really stupid and people will remember this after the economy improves and things get back to normal. I had to figth with service advisor to gert a loaner on my Chevy tahoe. If there had been anything else available that served my needs I would have gone elsewhere.Really made me amd after spending 55k on a top of the line truck then to be treated like a bum. I got the loaner in the end but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I asked the manager to be changed to another service advisor which started another s---storm.

I would call the TV stations- start loud talking truoble at the dealership-make sure that there are many spectators- There is no reason for this unresolved issue- total BS

I miss our Nissan Stanza Wagon.

OTOH, I can't stand the Dodge Stratus.

I love my Kia though :)

LOL, I guess that is why there are so many different makers and mods!

Oh there is NO WAY I miss the Nissan it was a real turd from the first day [:o]

I had a 2001 3.2 CL Type S Acura 2-door with auto transmission that was a stone cold lemon...transmission blew up at 40K miles. Lots of these cars had the same problem, and the corporate response left most everybody with a bad taste in their mouths.

I have had better luck with my Tahoe by far, been blessed with a highly reliable vehicle. If/when I buy another, guess where I'm going??

Chuck