adcom gfa-555 vs parasound hca 1200

slovell

I have both but didnt spend a lot of time with either. Having said that, I happened to like the parasound better. IMHO a little smoother to my ears. I recently picked up for a pretty good price a Parasound HCA 2200 MK11. Havent hooked it up yet but I am interested in what awaits me. Have never had a 250 watt a channel ss amp before so it will be interesting to hear what if any benefits I get from the increased power.

Josh

I have a GFA 555, the thing runs hot! Just leaving it on at idle it gets hot! Just letting you know.

Unless mine has something wrong with it. I purchased it new about 11 years ago.

My Mcintosh, which has more power, barely gets warm, even while using it.

Your Adcom has something wrong with it. Did someone mess around with the biasing? If you hook it up to a 'scope, do see oscillation? It should not be running hot, especially at idle.

BTW, the series 2 on the Adcom has some capacitor upgrades on the power supply. Those will have a very clean sounding bass. They are currently going for about $325-375 on eBay. IMO, an absolute steal.

I have a GFA 555, the thing runs hot! Just leaving it on at idle it gets hot! Just letting you know.

Your Adcom has something wrong with it. Did someone mess around with the biasing? If you hook it up to a 'scope, do see oscillation? It should not be running hot, especially at idle.

BTW, the series 2 on the Adcom has some capacitor upgrades on the power supply. Those will have a very clean sounding bass. They are currently going for about $325-375 on eBay. IMO, an absolute steal.

I would have to agree. If your 555 is running hot at idle, there is something wrong with it and I would unplug it when not in use, if you are using it. I have a GFA 555 and it is a solid amp with lots of headroom. Mine is out on loan right now (for the last year or so), but it is a great, solid, dynamic, sturdy, capable amp. I have no experience with the Parasound, but I hear they are also very capable amps.

Dennie

Aw man, now I have that to worry about.[:D] Just connect the scope up to the speaker outputs and see what she's doing at idle? I have a Fluke Scopemeter and a Leader scope, so I have that covered.

My Adcom has always had a very faint turn off thump on one channel. Funny thing, the speaker, a Vandersteen Model 3A, connected to that channel just happened to have failed. The mid woofer died.

So, where is a good place to send it. Pretty sure the warranty has expired.[:D] The cover has never been removed on it.