? usable horn for a CornScala???

bigrfish

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350277044610&ssPageName=ADME:L:CORT:US:1123

This looks interesting....in my own case, it would fit the CornScala cabinets I got from the Cigar Bum without having to do much to the motorboard. The hole for Mr Al K's big wood horns is 18" wide, and this "H4427" horn is 17.5" wide, so it will fit handily with only a little to spare laterally. I figure a bead of silicone and we're through here. This horn is 10 and five-eighths inches high, which is a little taller than what came out of these cabinets(but not much), so it might be possible to mount without doing butchery to the motorboards. The bottom frequency cutoff is 500Hz, so this might be a good, economical alternative until I can get my wood horn mojo working.....

What say ye???

Chuck

D.D.,

I appreciate the input. I am going to start with these big horns I found on e-bay and see where it takes me. If I do not like them, I have one alternative already on hand, and if that does not work, I am going to look into making my own. By Friday, I will have all the requisite guts rounded up and will start building them out. I am fortunate to have a week off, glad to have the time to be able to deal with some of the details....it'll be like drawing a bucket of water from a really, really deep well by hand...happy and pleased to get that drink when it finally comes!!

Thanks again, Chuck

The big horns came today and they look like a winner. Very well built, sound better when you talk through them compared to the smaller horns, finished off inside in a good looking flat black finish, thick, heavy construction, with a bolt-on driver configuration. Anticipating this, and from D.D.'s advice, I got a couple of adapters which only have one hole that matches...will have to drill a couple of holes in the horn driver mounting flange, but that should not be a big problem. It appears I am going to be able to get them mounted by only making one slight carpentry modification, the removal and replacement of the wooden cleats holding the velcro for the grills. From the same shop where I got the big generic horns(might be an expired JBL or Altec patent someone has said) I also got a pair of the "butt-cheek" horn lenses made by Selenium that are going to mount right in the Beyma holes, no problem, no cutting, so it may be that I have found drop-in replacements. I am pleased that no big surgery will be involved, just a tiny change and the installation of some fixation devices.

The woofers and the various circuitry and terminal posts, etc., seem to be pretty straightforward to install.

After I get them buttoned up, positioned, and take a shakedown cruise, I am going to listen for a couple of days before I post my impressions and before I publish a list of the components I am installing. Looks like we could be making music with them by Sunday afternoon. I am at work now (0005 Friday), so after I hand off to the next crew in the morning, I am going to stop by Lowe's for a few last-minute things, go home and take a nap, and get busy working on them tomorrow night. Think about me....Chuck

One other point and a good tip: I stopped by Radio Shack and was looking at speaker wire b/c all I had left was some old zip-cord lamp wire stuff...and was horrified by their prices for fair grade speaker wire...so I went home and got on monoprice.com and found 100" of Oxygen-free 12 ga speaker wire for less than $30 shipped.. 25 ft of more spindly wire was going to cost twice that much at the store in the strip mall, and was only a little better at Lowe's.

Chuck,

Do you have the link to the monoprice wire?

Herb

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2

Herb, there it is. I was very satisfied with previous purchases and availability, customer service from these folks. Someone on the forum here told me about them and so thanks to whomever that was!!.

• 2 weeks later...

The description I think says it is made of Fiberglass...It is sturdily and well-made and is smoothly finished on the inside. The material is heavy and substantial, and the mounting flange in the rear is good and heavy. To mount a screw-on horn on it requires an adapter. Selenium makes one that is sold by Parts Express. If you are not using a bolt-on driver, you will have to have the adapters. If you do put the adapters on, take them with you to the hardware store and get bolts that fit the holes well. One important point...with this horn, you will have to drill two holes to mount the adapter to the bolt-on flange. The fitment and alignment of the adapter onto the horn flange is important to do with precision, and there is about a mm or less of difference in the diameters of the two, so it is necessary to be really picky and careful about the mounting and hole-drilling for the adapter. I loosely installed one bolt, with its' requisite nuts and washers, and further used two C-clamps to fasten it down in just the right spot and checked it two or three times to make sure it was centered perfectly before I drilled my holes, then drilled the holes and installed the bolts and nuts, etc and tightened it down before I removed the C-clamps. I had two different variations of horn to use, and made my final decision based on both published specs (both horns are supposed to go down to 500 Hz) and then I sung, spoke, and shouted through both of the horns and picked this one because it sounded more natural and open. I am pretty sure I picked the right one, as the outcome has been very pleasant indeed. I picked the Selenium 1" Phenolic-dome driver for the mids, because it integrated well with the specs of all the other components I used....it is as if in the end I got an integrated whole rather than a sum of random parts....and I like the results a lot, after I have gotten everything dialed in. Be prepared to work with them a while after you fire them up.

There is another thread here called something like?Cigar Bum's Born-Again CornScalas where I list all the innards I used. They are not ultra-expensive the way I populated the insides, but are very sweet to my ears, and sound like big bucks for sure.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted on what you think. This e-bay dealer appears to be a liquidator and there is not a manufacturer's name anywhere on the horn, so I am thinking it maybe is made from the expired patent plans of a JBL or an Altec horn, also imagine that the dealer will not have them hanging around for ever...but that is just based on speculation, nothing concrete there. I thought about getting a few more of them in case there does develop an issue of scarcity, but have not done so yet. They are good horns. Get you a pair.

I just got the naked horn as shown in the very first link, not that whole bundle of horn, driver and filter. I would not advocate that at all, think you could do a lot better both sonically and specification-wise sourcing other parts...the horn lens, definitely, the other stuff, you're on your own.

I probably wouldn't use the xover, but those selenium d220ti's have some really good reviews. Many people seem to like the alot.

What about using the altec 811 horn in the corsncalas - opinions?

You can do your research on the Altec horn here: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/39789/39789.aspx

I found this by using the google search engine. I did a lot of reading and note taking before I ordered and installed my mid-horns and drivers. I have no personal knowledge of the Altec horns.

I use that same Selenium Titanium-dome driver in another pair of cabinets I have, pulled the Eminence titanium drivers out, and in that process found the Selenium drivers to have a more smooth and somewhat less "peaky" quality to them, while the Eminence driver is more bright sounding. What I did is rather unconventional, in that I used a 1" compression driver and horn as the tweeter in my CornScala cabinets, where others use a smaller tweeter usually or normally(whatever that is).

If you do Google searches and read after folks and what they have done, you will find your "Excalibur", but you have to be prepared to do the due diligence and work like a short-legged dog to find the information....so, happy hunting! I would opine that there is more than ample information "out there", it's just a matter of looking it up!! To me, that's the best part of the process, learning about all these variables, and finding out things and planning what I want to do. My particular penchant is the best bang for the buck....