CD's are so yesterday!

jpm

Fast going the way of DVD

I just removed my cdp from my system.

Just plug in my iPhone for most stuff. I can't hear the difference, so it works for me.

Well, I am not that familar with the format of the iPhone, but if it is MP3 and you cannot hear a difference, you are either deaf or your system cannot produce the high and low freqs. that the MP3 fomat compresses. I have downloaded MP3 music to my system, and it turns it into a massive 'cheap transistor radio'.

My classical DVD library is quite small, but I am now spoiled by the ability to WATCH classical performances on DVDs instead of merely LISTENING to them on CDs (or LPs). I used only DVDs on an HT system for my classical "classes" at the last Pilgrimage, and thought it communicated classical music very well to the forum members who were there.

Larry,

I have a few opera's on DV too and on the whole am very impressed with them - as long as they have an LPCM 2 channel track that I can use on my 2 channel setup (most do - but a few have compressed Dolby digitial 2 channel which is not as good). I find I tend to be more forgiving of the quality of the audio if i am watching at the same time but there is one issue I am yet to get round.

The issue is that when you have a shot of the whole stage and someone is singing far right, for example, the image of the singer is to the edge of the TV - but the sound is another 3 feet right of him/her. I find that to be quite disorientating.

The issue is that when you have a shot of the whole stage and someone is singing far right, for example, the image of the singer is to the edge of the TV - but the sound is another 3 feet right of him/her. I find that to be quite disorientating.

That's why some AV experts recommend placing the main speakers fairly close to the TV, so that the width of the soundstage approximates the width of the screen, so your attention is not pulled away from the action on the screen.

If you spend most of your listening time watching operas and concerts, it might be worth placing your main speakers closer to the TV.

You should check out the APPLE TV; sync's all of your itunes music to it's internal hard drive using your wireless router. HDMI output to the TV for video and audio and RCA jacks to the stereo. Of course there is an App for that for the iphone; you can control it from anywhere in your wireless router range. Later Bill

That's why some AV experts recommend placing the main speakers fairly close to the TV, so that the width of the soundstage approximates the width of the screen, so your attention is not pulled away from the action on the screen.

If you spend most of your listening time watching operas and concerts, it might be worth placing your main speakers closer to the TV.

How true! It's so "cheating", but it really works!!! The "centers" are L/R, and the flankers are hooked to the surround front and surround rear outputs. AVR is set to "all channel stereo" and the "flankers" are then adjusted. Don't have any place to put "real" surround speakers, and I'm not sellin' my Cornwalls!!! LOLOL!!!

How true! It's so "cheating", but it really works!!! The "centers" are L/R, and the flankers are hooked to the surround front and surround rear outputs. AVR is set to "all channel stereo" and the "flankers" are then adjusted. Don't have any place to put "real" surround speakers, and I'm not sellin' my Cornwalls!!! LOLOL!!!

OT:

Grooms, have you tried stacking your CW flanks Tweet to Tweet?

tc

Fast going the way of DVD

I just removed my cdp from my system.

Just plug in my iPhone for most stuff. I can't hear the difference, so it works for me.

I can sometimes hear the distortion and muddled soundstage of 320k MP3s through my helmet speakers while wearing earplugs and riding my motorcycle. I can't stand them through my audio system. It's hard to imagine anything from an iPhone sounding tolerable.

try it. for background music it's not half bad.

Honestly, no offense intended, but for some of us "background music" is like "background sex," and when we are willing to settle for "half bad" it's in the car, not in front of systems we've commited a good part of ourselves and our treasure to building.

Dave