Have KG4s, looking for more sound, Cornwalls or La Scalas?

JHoman

La Scala's if you have the room for them.

Have a set in a room close to that size and a pair of Heresy II's on the back corners and it sounds great to me.

However, don't get rid of those KG 4's as I think they are something special in thier own right.

What is it you find lacking with them and perhaps that will give us a better idea, as to what would work best for you?

The KG4s lack any punch, great for jazz and vocals, but lack that tight, pronounced pop / snap of the first portion of a drum beat. I have a sub and my jbl 830s running off my other B200. It sounds good, but it cant go where I want it to. I've heard several comments that the scalas lack the bass punch and some say add a sub, the more I read the more I think I need the Scalas top and mid, and the Corns woofer.

I had Corns at my beach house then replaced them with Belles (similar to Lascalas) since I already had Corns at home. At first I was majorly disappointed. Was kicking myself for giving up the Corns with their great bass punch and crisp lower mids. I added a sub and began to like the Belles a lot. They were really growing on me. A couple months later, a good deal on Corns came my way so I sold the Belles and replaced them with Corns. Came full circle.

As soon as I dropped the needle on a my first record I knew I made a huge mistake. Not only were the Belles beautiful, but once my ears adjusted to the difference in sound, I realized those Belles with their smooth mids and horn-loaded bass were just wonderful. I still love my Cornwalls but in the long run, Lascalas and a sub are the way to go.

P.S. If you listen primarily to acoustic jazz, go with the Corns. Also, Corns sound pretty great with almost any gear or music. If you have crappy sources, Lascalas are much more picky.

Many a drummer would disagree with JHoman, as many a review and drummers I know that have heard them/own them, say the KG 4's are one of the closest they have heard, that sound like their kit.

Perhaps it is a room size/placement/treatment issue for you, or you may like certain frequencies more prominent.

I really liked the ol' KG4s. You should consider the Forte as well (check the specs and the FR curves - for music, you probably "wouldn't need no stinkin subwoofer.") I went from KG4s to Forte IIs a long time ago and I think you'd like the change - it's a headturning jump. I later went to Cornwalls expecting a similar jump and was disappointed. It was a trade off - although, to me, the bass is fuller and more defined, they don't quite give the lower end that the Forte does. It's a small difference but it's noticable and I keep thinking about dragging out the Fortes again. Can't say much about LaScalas - I never lived with them but I'd be willing to try.

Either way you would not be disappointed. The biggest objection many folks have to the LaScala's, as remarked, is the "footprint". To me, they sound more "rich" than Cornwalls; but then again it's room placement, and what I listen to in the room with the LS's. For the HT? Cornwalls do it for me. See if you can listen to both before making a decision though.

Fellow forum member hooked me up with a nice set of cornwalls. Just got home with them this afternoon. After hooking them up and adjusting for my listening position, all I can say is perfect, just what I was looking for. I'm very happy!

Fellow forum member hooked me up with a nice set of cornwalls. Just got home with them this afternoon. After hooking them up and adjusting for my listening position, all I can say is perfect, just what I was looking for. I'm very happy!

Congrats and happy listening!