Give me your honest opinion, get rid of em or keep em?

Ok here's the deal:

I've got to return my klipsch pro-media v.2-400's tomorrow because they make that static noise when I adjust volume. I really like these speakers and would like to upgrade to the 4.1 series. Getting the 4.1's is not the problem. These speakers are great, and I love them but....

I also have a pretty nice receiver, and 6 disc cd-player, 9 speakers and 1 subwoofer (not counting the 5 speakers in the pro-media), I like home theater/audio and would like to buy a dvd player.

Here's the problem::

I really like the klipsch speakers, but I can't integrate them into my system I have now, (no I don't use all 9 speakers at once,) as I don't have pre-amp out on my receiver. Since I could continue to use my laptop as my dvd player, I could upgrade to the 4.1's and get rid of some of the other stuff (about 4 speakers and a sub). If I buy a dvd player with built in dd decoding, then I could use the component audio out ( 5 channel out including lfe channel) and hook the pro's up to this, and not have a center channel. The klipsch are loud speakers and I love them, I'd be using them for a long time after I bought them but I can't see getting them if I can basically buy a dvd player and have a 5.1 system keep in mind a decent 5.1 system but I really like the klipsch dangit, I'm obsessed with these klipsch, they provide great sound, great bass.

So give me your opinion on the following choices:

1. upgrade to 4.1's and get rid of something

2. upgrade to 4.1's and keep everything else also

3. don't upgrade, keep what you've got now

4. buy a real dvd player and do 5.1

5. buy a real dvd player and the 4.1's and do 4.1

let me know what you all think.... later

"you've been great, I'm out"- george costanza

Returning the v.2 is probably a good idea, if you're willing to pay the extra ~$50 for the 4.1s.

About getting rid of your existing speakers, it really depends on what you have. If you cheap speakers such as sony(or any japanese company) or bose, then definately sell them. There are some very nice 5.1 HT packages offer by companies such as Paradigm, Energy, NHT, etc., which would easily blow away the pros for HT(and you would expect them too...)

If you are really on a budget, its possible to have a 4.1 promedia HT, although the pros are really meant for computer speakers..

Check out the Kingmax DVD Decoder Card. I have one of these and the dongle has a standard video out, a s-video jack, an AC3 digital, and a 1/8" stereo minijack.

They run about $50 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1218470897

If someone could hack registries and addresses to use the minijacks of the notebook and the zv-dvd at the same time for 4ch to the pros?

Ok, I'd say trade em up for the 4.1s for a few reasons.. First off, though they may lack the -WOW- effect that a full home theater system has when you look at it, they have quite the amount of power for their size. Also, if you are having space issues, then the pros are the way to go, due to their smaller size. Personally, however, I wouldnt mind having a full HTS but then again, I have a stand-alone DVD player and wouldnt need to rely on a laptop's stereo out for the DVD sound. Soooo... I say stick with them, they will play music movies well enough and loud enough for you, maybe get rid of some of your other speakers if not all of them, and if the Pros arent enough for when you listen to music, use your remaining speakers, maybe in collaberation with the pros, to make a pretty damn sweet system for music

You could keep the 4.1s, then buy either a 6 channel sound card or a DD decoder (like the ADS2000, this way you will also have a remote). Since both of these output 6 channels you can keep the pros, keep your sub for the sub channel, and use one of your other speakers for the center. You will have true 5.1 with 2 subs that way.

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.