SW12 Humming Its Own Tune :o(

thewolf

I just picked up an SW12 today that has a humming noise issue.

First I plugged it into a few outlets around the house and it would hum in every outlet. However, if I touched any one of the line level input jacks the humming would stop instantly and the sub would be dead silent. I remove my finger and the hum returned.

Next, I decide to hook up to the amplifier and speakers. I turn on the sub (and no other components) of course the hum is there. I touch one of the input jacks...thinking the hum would go away...wrong...still humming. After leaving it powered on and no other components turned on for about 5 min, the hum goes away on its own.

Looking for any ideas on how to fix the problem. Why would the hum go away when touching the line level jack with no high level connections. But after high level connections, touching the line level jack does, well "jack" the hum remains?

Any problems leaving the sub on 24/7?

Thanks guys for any help you can offer.

Gary

Try a cheater plug on the end of your sub's power cable to see if it's a ground loop issue. That's an adapter that's 3 holed on the female side that plugs into the sub cable, and 2 pronged where it goes into the wall. Report back.

Put one on....no change to the hum. Tried it both ways with and without....hum sounds the same either way.

I would reccommend the cheater plug as well, make sure to try it on other devices. I was getting a bad hum when I went to seperates, it was wierd because everything was connected to an AVR/ noise filter and what not.

Come to find out the amp was the device causing the hum in the sub.

so even though the sub is humming the actual culprit could be else where, it drove me nuts for about a week of unpluging everything and setting it back up.

At this point I can rule out grounding issues. I can take the sub without any speaker connections and far away from any electronic devices, plug it in and it hums. I spent a couple Benny's on this thing and would like to get it working. What's my next option? Is it worth taking into an electronics repair shop?

Have you tried connecting a wire to the line level input but not connected to anything on the other end, It could be just a bad connection on the line level fitting ? just an idea

Alright Dtel..this is the kind of thinking I was looking for! I have not even thought of that option. I'll try it when I get home. I have two line level inputs (L & R). I'll hook up a y-connector to the inputs and see what that does. Worth a try. Thanks.

Have you tried connecting a wire to the line level input but not connected to anything on the other end, It could be just a bad connection on the line level fitting ? just an idea

Alright Dtel..this is the kind of thinking I was looking for! I have not even thought of that option. I'll try it when I get home. I have two line level inputs (L & R). I'll hook up a y-connector to the inputs and see what that does. Worth a try. Thanks.

Tried the line level...no change. Still hummin along. Got an appt to take it to a repair shop, the guy has done some work for me in the past and said he will look at it free of charge to see if he can figure it out.Hope I can get this thing fixed. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I have a SW15ll sub that also hums, i bought it used about 3 years ago. The hum seems to be getting worse, so i figured the amp might be going bad. I think i am going to buy a sub amp from Parts Express, but I'll have to modify the cabinet a little because it's a different size. hopefully it will work, it's cheaper than buying a new sub.