Can I date my Cornwalls by serial number?

Naptown Rob

Hello all. I'm a long time Klipsch owner, but new to this community. I recently picked up a used pair of Cornwalls - a speaker I've loved since I worked at a Klipsch dealer as a teenager in 1979. Right now they're hooked up to a Denon AVR 2308CI, and sound wonderful, but soon they'll be mated with a Fisher 500C...

Is there an easy way for me to figure out the age of these things? Is there a link for a serial # database?

Thanks,

Rob

PS: Proof that I married the right woman? She told me she thought the Cornwalls would look good with the Fortes stacked on top...

Damn! You guys are fast! The serial #'s look like 244668 & 9. But the 4's also look like they could be U's. They have CWO handwritten on the tag. I thought these were II's? No? I'll check the link you guys provided. I love that I can actually read the legible signatures of my inspector (Bill Gibson), and my tester (N.W.Bradford).

***! You guys are fast! The serial #'s look like 244668 & 9. But the 4's also look like they could be U's. They have CWO handwritten on the tag. I thought these were II's? No? I'll check the link you guys provided. I love that I can actually read the legible signatures of my inspector (Bill Gibson), and my tester (N.W.Bradford).

Do the backs come off? I's.....if the backs are fixed, can not remove...II's

The 4 being a U? if that is what it looks like then 1980

CWO, walnut oil finish.......the s/n would not be a II. The II's used the first 2 numbers for the year as noted in the s/n list

The backs are screwed on, so I guess they're 1980 I's. Any thoughts on crossover maintenance? The caps are about 30 years old at this point, & I know some changes were made to the crossover design shortly after these were made. Do owners generally consider those changes to have been an improvement, or is there dissent?

The backs are screwed on, so I guess they're 1980 I's. Any thoughts on crossover maintenance? The caps are about 30 years old at this point, & I know some changes were made to the crossover design shortly after these were made. Do owners generally consider those changes to have been an improvement, or is there dissent?

Send me an email, a bit easier to address and offer thoughts on what you are asking, use the link for email

Welcome to the forum. 1980 was a great year for Cornwalls!

Update the crossovers. You can get them back to spec or spend some dough and improve the performance. BEC on the forum here will get you back to spec for a very reasonable cost. DeanG's Super B's will improve the performance but you'll have to open your wallet a bit.