I going to get an Almarro integrated.

Yukon Jackass

I placed my order for Heresy IIIs! Whoo hoo! I have an old, but very reliable Onkyo stereo receiver right now, but I want to take the plunge with tubes.

I am going with the Almarro A205 II. 5 watt EL84 integrated. Extremely well received by the audiophile press, and a good match for the Heresies.

The Almarro also seems to be a good choice for tube newbies, and it's priced right. I think I will be very happy with this combo.

Anyone out there have this amp?

My god you are a jackass![:D]

Patience my friend. Don't jump quite yet.

First, what music do you typically listen to?

SET (in this case SEP) affaciandos will tell you this topology will do everything but put a vestal virgin in your bed.

I suspect said vestal virgin better not be playing reggae, hard rock or a 300 piece orchestra at full tilt boogey.

Get the speakers first, try them with what you have, then go from there. Got any friends with some decent gear you borrow? Any local hi-fi stores? Great decision on the Heresy's though, true love is coming your way.

We've become a little to used to learning about stuff from the net to realize what we might have right around the corner.

Vestal virgins. Why am I obsessed about Vestal Virgins lately. Anybody runs across one, contact me soonest.

Thanks for the advice.

Some user reviews for this amp - of course, reviews mean jack squat - mentioned the EL 84 based 205 and Heresies were good with hard rock, and since that's what I mainly listen to, it caught my attention. Keep in mind, my listening room is a small, empty bedroom, full carpeted, and the H3s will be placed in the corners of the room, whatever that's worth.

I'm keeping the Onkyo for my heavy metal moods.

I almost feel obligated to go with tubes since I am getting the Heresies. I am not into "audiophile" music. No Diana Krall here! Mostly 70s hard rock and metal, like Deep Purple, Rush, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc.

How will this type of music do with the Almarro/Heresy3 combo?

What Thebes said, but I'd add make sure you go with America-made. With the way Chinese-English translations often go, you might end up with a vegetal virgin. OTOH, it might help you with getting enough green leafies...

BTW, THANK YOU FOR BUYING NEW HERESYS!! It's people like you who make this forum possible!

Congrats on the H3s. Did you see the new lacewood H3s on e-bay, sweet deal. Anyway, I'm not sure one el84 is enough to drive the Heresys. I have a Jolida integrated that has two el84s per side and it can be a little weak at times. My 25 watt Quicksilver monos are much stouter, plenty loud for me. You might also look into a small sub.

I guess if it was me, I'd use the Onkyo for now, get a small sub and then I would shop around for a really good tube integrated like a Prima Luna or AES superamp.

Thanx, Russ

With your music tastes I really do believe you will find the Almarro underpowered. EL 84 amps are very nice sounding, and Klipsch is efficient, but...Give us a budget for some alternatives.

Now to those young lovelies. Most were extra daughters gladly given up to the temple, but it's also my understanding that some wound up wearing the veil after tramping around when they shouldn't have. Those Romans, silly folks. Even though this pic is from the 17th century, I'm hoping they all look like this.

post-14801-13819513123168_thumb.jpg

Ist mistake = reading reviews!

For less than $850, you can buy a KILLER rebuilt Scott (299 or 299b) or Fisher (100 or 500), etc. and I'd bet a pair of cornwalls you would prefer it over the 5 watt integrated you are contemplating. I have seen it way too often. Those reviews are worthless. What other amps are they comparing it to? You wouldn't believe how good a nice rebuilt vintage integrated can sound. Find one to audition if you can. I've seen people go out and buy Jolidas after hearing a nice Scott or Fisher only to be totally disappointed with the results. OK, I won't bet my cornwalls but take the advice you are given here. There are lots of good options for less money, especially in this economy. Good luck!!

JMHO of course. YMMV. See dealer details......yada, yada, yada.

I have a 1-watt EL84 based amp and a 6-watt 807 based amp. Both are single ended like the Almarro. I also have a 150-watt 1979 Yamaha R-2000 receiver which was the top o line back in the day. I also had a 100-watt EL34 integrated for a short time when I first got my KHorns earlier this year. I have my KHorns in a small carpeted room similar to yours.

The thought of the Almarro isn't crazy, but for the type of music you say you listen to it may or may not be the best. Many people on this forum say they would prefer the 150-watt Yamaha (or similar), and when I first got my KHorns I thought they were crazy. Then I began to realize it really depends on how you use your system. If you're gonna crank Zeppelin most of the time, a push-pull 50 watter might be best if you're going to go tubes. The Almarro will play Zep loud and clear, don't get me wrong. But the 'thing' about SETs is the surreal midrange, the music just floats into the room. I really appreciate this about my system. But if I was gonna have a party I'd probably drop the Yamaha in (or the 100-watt PP EL34 if I still had it) because I wouldn't be looking for the midrange magic, I'd be looking for other things for a party.

I guess what I'm saying is there is this specific thing about SETs, and if the way you use your system (the music you play and what you're looking for) doesn't take advantage of that then a PP amp might be better for you. I can almost guarantee I'd prefer the Almarro to any PP in that price range.

OK, I am definitely doing the Heresies. In a small room, pushed into the corners, they SHOULD have enough bass for me. I will see if the SS Onkyo I have now is a decent match. If it is, screw it, I'll keep it and save money for a turntable - Technics SL1200 modded by KAB. But down the road, a lot sooner than later, tubes will be a part of my system.

I am looking for a new, affordable integrated tube amp, powerful enough to do classic and hard rock justice with the H3s. I want it to be "idiot proof," if not self-biasing, then at least easy to adjust. A remote control would be nice, So would a built-in tubed phono pre.

I guess this is asking for too much?

What's nuts is not looking into a vintage unit. My Scott 299b sounds amazing, has a tubed phono pre, hasn't gone out of bias and hasn't needed any adjustments or repairs of any kind in the 6 or 7 years I've owned it. I paid about $640 all-in after Craig's rebuild. Sorry but no remote. That's the only downside. It also has a center channel RCA output you can plug a powered sub directly into if you decide the Heresys don't have quite enough bass for you. It's a very nice feature.

BTW - Any chance of talking you out of the Technics?[;)]

I really think you should do some auditioning before you decide. We're only trying to help. Most of us here learned the hard way and we try to help others avoid the mistakes we made ourselves over the years.

Good luck.

To garymd,

Yeah, vintage is not out of the question. I heard a lot about the old Scotts and Fishers of yesterday. As long as the price was fair, and as long as Craig would agree to fix up, modify, or even "hot rod" the amp. So that's an option I am keeping open.

What do you have against the Technics? I plan to spend about $600 tops for it, which includes the KAB mods. What other new, intro table can compete with it for $600? There's a lot of Technics users who have no problem with their TTs. I also don't want a turntable that requires constant adjustments and tweaking.

I am also a GD fan. Do you think the Heresy 3s are a good match for the Grateful Dead?