KG-5.2 Woofer Rattle & Hum

CallMeJoe

I recently acquired a pair of KG-5.2s and am quite pleased overall, but have one problem to resolve. One of the woofers (K-1001-K) has a rattle at extremely low frequencies that turns into a buzz as the frequency increases. Touching the woofer surround at one particular point kills the noise. I removed the woofer and examined it carefully; it appears that a small part of the surround (perhaps about 3 cm) either was never properly glued, or has somehow come loose.

Thus my question:

Do any of you know a safe way to remove the black plastic trim ring from the front of the woofer basket to gain access to reglue the surround? The trim ring appears glued to the basket, and I would hate to break the plastic attempting a repair.

I suppose that if there is no safe way to remove the trim, I could try to locate an appropriate plastic syringe and inject an adhesive between the back of the surround and the basket, but having full access to the surround while making the repair would seem preferable.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but my search turned up nothing.

With my experiences fixing voice coil buzzing, I've had to remove the plastic ring you're talking about. Coming from the magnet side of the basket(back side), you can use a flat head screwdriver to wedge in between the plastic ring and basket (screwdriver is now perpendicular to the woofer surround). Now move the screwdriver handle away from the magnet. This will pop the glue joint in a small section of the ring. Follow this glue joint seperation...gently.. until you get all the way around.

I've done this with three woofers of different ages. The older the speaker has proven to be a more brittle glue, making the process easy. One that popped off well was an SW12. Another that was more tenacious was a KG 3.5 - that ring did chip in one place (grrrr).

This is what I've done without any council so......I'd appreciate other comments.

I hope this is helpful.

Rivernuggets: I followed your advice, using my gasket scraper rather than a screwdriver, and managed to lift the trim ring without cracking it. One unanticipated problem: the rubber surround was less securely attached to the woofer basket than to the trim ring in several areas. I sharpened the edge of a plastic putty knife and carefully worked it around those areas to separate the rubber from the ring without cutting or tearing the rubber. It took a while to complete, but I have the surround reglued now, waiting for the glue to set before testing my repair.

Thanks again for your response. I hope soon to have a Rattle- & Hum-free speaker. Barring the odd U2 play, of course...

Very glad for your success! Well done. I hope the problem was in the rubber surround and the buzz/rattle is gone. Isn't waiting for the glue cure the hardest part?!?

Not to rain on this parade, BUT if there is still a rattle problem it might be the voice coil rubbing. Very fixable and I can explain step by step how to realign it. But hey, you won't need to do that because it's FIXED. Enjoy those 5.2s!

• 1 year later...

Searching for a different woofer problem, I found this thread and realized I never responded.

Woofer rattle is cured and the KG 5.2s have been playing merrily for the last 21 months. I have just moved them to a secondary system since I completed my Faux Forte II cabinets and moved those to primary stereo duty. I shall be tearing down the 5.2s soon to check cabinet integrity, as I recently found the baffles separating on my 3.5s and want to ensure the 5.2s are sound. While out of service I shall also refresh the cabinets by restoring some battered corners and laying on a fresh red oak veneer.

Thanks again for the advice.

It was difficult to get that ring off, and hard to get it on also.

I literally used a small flat screwdriver and small, thin crowar and gently worked my way around..... (Being VERY CAREFUL not to mar or indent the MDF).

This took about 8 times around before it started freeing up and finally came off.

Gluing back on is not super easy, you will want to mark where it is currently for reference, and then just use a good all purpose adhesive.

(I believe I used silicone).

Good Luck; it is a PITA to do without damaging anything.

Thanks again for the advice.

Your welcome. Thanks for getting back to me. [:D]

I recently found the baffles separating on my 3.5s and want to ensure the 5.2s are sound.

Very cool you're jumping in with preventive care. I had to do reglue the motorboard/side cabinet on a KG 5.5 once. Must have been the glue used at the time.

...I had to do reglue the motorboard/side cabinet on a KG 5.5 once. Must have been the glue used at the time.

It appears they used a hot glue that did not age well.

Out of curiosity, what glue did you use? I've used Titebond III for my recent wood projects, but I cut my panels to a closer fit than the KG 3.5 motorboard and rear baffle. Would an expanding glue such as Gorilla be better, or should I just use Titebond and then RTV the seams?

Would an expanding glue such as Gorilla be better, or should I just use Titebond and then RTV the seams?

I think either once would suffice. The Tangent series has some rather low cost cabinets, and could use a completely new build or some glue and sealing.

What glue did you use when you did the surrounds?

Bruce