TV stand for 65" plasma...and RC-7

Amstaff

I have had my speakers for approx. 6 years (RF-7,RC-7,RS-7 and RSW15). The RC-7 has sat on top of my 65 Toshiba RPTV for all of this time. Time has come to replace the TV...I plan to pick up a 65" Plasma (Panasonic). Which I want to place on a TV stand - don't really want to wall mount it unless I absolutely have to.

Dilema : What to do with the RC-7? Ideally, I would like it on a shelf under the TV....but very (very) few stands have a compartment that can accomodate the RC-7. Any suggestions?

Also, if I replace the RC-7 - with something a tad smaller RC-62, maybe - this will give me a few more options - but will the RC-62 sound OK with the rest of my speakers? I am currently driving the system with a Yamaha RX-Z1 - which is great - but no HDMI inputs/outputs [:(] - this may need replacing too....but that is another story.

Any thoughts - thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Stick with the RC-7!!! The RC-62 is a great center channel but with the RF-7's you will not come close to voice matching.

Here is an idea if you are having trouble finding a suitable stand that will accomodate your RC-7. Get something like this and place on your stand and use it as a riser to raise the plasma about 6 inches above the stand. Then you can place your RC-7 right in front of the riser. I am considering getting one to raise my bedroom LCD up a little higher so my center channel does not block view. I know weight might be a concern so make sure you check for weight limits.

http://www.hootjudkins.com/products.php?pid=201953&detail=true

Bill

I too agree. Keep the RC 7.

You might look for some thing like this..............

Stand..jpg

http://www.furnitureesuperstore.com/traditionalplasmatvcabinetwiththreeadjustableshelves.aspx

That would not have large enough compartments for an RC-7

I do agree keep the RC-7, they may be hard to find but there are plenty of stands which will hold the RC-7

Standout designs has some very beautiful high quality solid wood stands (though also expensive) which are capable of holding an RC-7

This one is available in many different forms and different wood finishes

d_MAJ_e7022-MC-Opts.jpg

Here is a link:

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/store/pc/Majestic-Grand-e7022-Solid-Wood-TV-Console-p338.htm

Thanks for the info everyone. I will stick with the RC-7.

Standout does have some nice stuff.....all that I could see on their site would not fit the RC-7 (26" wide, 9" H).

I am OK with buying a nice piece for this endevor....the wife says it will be so.

I have been looking at Salamander Designs too ...they have Quad 20 / 245 in which the RC-7 may just fit....big $$$ too - anyone tried this?

• Moderators

Check out some local woodworkers, they could probably build you a custom piece for the same price you could find a pre-made model and it would probably be better quality. Worth a look, I think there are many furniture company's up in NC, check around ?

Check out some local woodworkers, they could probably build you a custom piece for the same price you could find a pre-made model and it would probably be better quality. Worth a look, I think there are many furniture company's up in NC, check around ?

totally agree - this way you get exactly what you want

also other suggestions would be to put the rc7 on its side next to the plasma but then you would probably want to turn the tweater 90degrees or maybe bulid a custom made box thingy to put ontop of cabinet, rc7 will be inside box and tv on top of box.. not ideal of course but will do for now.. just a suggestion of course.

good luck and yes agree I with everyone, stck with the rc7..

Thanks for the info everyone. I will stick with the RC-7.

Standout does have some nice stuff.....all that I could see on their site would not fit the RC-7 (26" wide, 9" H).

Yes you're right I thought the one I linked was large enough but I realize now it's wide enough but not quite high enough. Well there are a few stands which will accept the RC-7 but they are hard to find. Most the stands which do work do not have separate compartments just full width shelfs.

I would definitely keep the RC-7 anyway, it is a great speaker.

There are two critical points to keeping the RC-7. First, it needs to be angled up toward the listenrs' ears. The sound stage will not be what you are used to without aiming the horn at ear level of the listeners.

Second, the RC-7 is vented to the rear. The noise from the vent can create echos, if the RC-7 is enclosed.

Bill

Second, the RC-7 is vented to the rear. The noise from the vent can create echos, if the RC-7 is enclosed.

I believe Bill meant to say the RC-64 is enclosed. Wink

I think you read Bill wrong. He was saying if you enclose an RC-7 into a cabinet (enclosed TV stand) it may not work well because of the RC-7's rear port, so an open style or open back cabinet would be best.

Thanks for all of the info, folks. It is appreciated.

An RC-64 an option? Or, does this have the same issues as the RC-62? - not a good fit with my existing setup.

The RC-7 is better matched to your system, the RC-64 is matched to the RF-83 and RF-63.

Also the RC-64 has about as much trouble finding a stand as the RC-7. The RC-64 is slightly shorter but much wider than the already wide RC-7.

Here is a stand that will work with the RC-7.

sl-2v-64.jpg

http://www.plateaucorp.com/html/fixedshelves/sl-2v-64.htm