Emotiva MMC-1

dollar bill

Not going to be able to hook it up for a bit, as like most of these types of projects, stripping everything down and starting from scratch.

Think I may try switching to front projection, for a variety of reasons, center channel behind screen?, copying Youthman and trying 2.35?lobby/snack stand behind screen?,etc.

I am seeing now, how going from 2 channel to 7.1 is not as straight forward as I thought.

And overall a futile mission, as I may not have this space come March, but I am on a mission.

So, somewhat set up, but am surprised at what a learning curve this is, after being a audio/tech/manual reading kind of guy for all these years.

Still have to fine tune everything, especially the sub channels, as just when I think I have it sounding right, there is a scene 10 times louder than the rest, sending 2 bridged QSC 1500's into clip and sending me into scramble mode for the volume.

Even the calibration tone for the subs is off the charts at 0db and with the levels dropped, doesn't match the rest of the levels properly.

Trying to figure out if my outboard Ashley crossovers will be better than the onboard for the subs

Still trying to get a lock on all the different modes too.

What happens when you play 5.1 audio on a 7.1 system?

Does it combine outputs or does it take the 5.1 and make it a virtual 7.1?

How bout the other way around?

I am going to keep trying to get everything right, but may end up just going back to the 2 channel, which was good enough to make me curious as to how much better the world of pre-obsolete pre/pro technology could make it.

Can I even do 7.1 when using a optical cable from a Ps3 for the audio?

P.I.T.A. that the HDMI is switch only, doesn't process audio and required me to connect a 2nd video output to the PJ, just to access the onscreen menus and set-up.

As with all gear, better model for less is always out soon after and may have been better off waiting, 'specially since Emotiva has a sale on(of course!).

This has been a humbling experience, as it used to be , I was the one everyone came to "When you've got questions...".

What happens when you play 5.1 audio on a 7.1 system?

Does it combine outputs or does it take the 5.1 and make it a virtual 7.1?

How bout the other way around?

Can I even do 7.1 when using a optical cable from a Ps3 for the audio?

Playing a 5.1 signal on a 7.1 system will matrix some sound for the rear surrounds from the Left and Right surround channels depending on the surround-format selected on your receiver/processor. On my Marantz it lets me select straight 5.1 or it'll say something like 5.1 - IIx MV if its matrixing the rear channels.

If you feed a 7.1 signal to a 5.1 setup most receivers will send the audio from the rear surrounds to the side surrounds, but not all will do this.

I'm pretty sure the PS3 can do 7.1 over optical in either Dolby Digital or DTS, but as I'm sure you know it can't pass the lossless audio (TrueHD, DTS-Master, etc) through optical.