RF-3 vs KG 5.5

jsack

I listen in stereo as well as some home theater. Considering upgrading KG 5.5 based home theater and finally buying total components for 5.1 surround. Also considering looking at used 5.1 speaker systems based on used RF-3 or new system say RF 62 price range. Any advice?

It would be a lateral move at best. I would say that your 5.5s will have much more bass output. The overall sound will be very similar due to the fact that they both are Klipsch, both have a horn tweeter and both have dual woofers. If you want to make an upgrade in sound you'll want to go to at least the RF-63 or RF-83, or look into something in the 3-way Heresy, Forte, Cornwall, etc. lines.

You shouldn't have a problem finding other KG speakers to add as surrounds and a KV series for center.

If I were you I would stick with the 5.5's over the RF3's. I have owned both and the rf3's may have a little better mid range but overall I was very dissapointed with them. I would however look into the RF7 which IMHO is better in all ways to the KG. You can get a pair for around 800 - 900 as the market is bad right now but you would be better off saving your money then dump it into the 3's,

I replaced my RF-3`s with KG 5.5`s , like others here said the KG 5.5`s put out more bass then the RF-3`s and I think they put out way more bass also I think the KG `s did better in the mid bass also , I consider the move from RF-3`s to KG 5.5`s an upgrade so much so I bought another pair of KG 5.5`s for my surrounds (see sig ) I`m really into multichannel music though that`s why I have 4 x KG 5,5`s if I had room I`de have all KG 5.5`s ,there a really awesome speaker IMHO and for what you can get them for now I think it`s a steel

I had the RF-3's for a week before I returned them. I was very disappointed especially since I come from the age of larger klipsch speakers. I also had a pair of kg5.5's for a year or so, before I sold them. They were better than the RF-3's by far, but I need 3 way speakers to be happy. Go with a three way speaker like the KLF-20 or KLF-30's. You won't be disappointed, they may not be as famous as earlier speakers like the Chorus or Forte, but I like them better.

jsack....go for the kg 5.5's and upgrade the tweeters to bob crites titanium diaframs...the rf 3's cant match the upgraded 5.5s...Even if you keep them original the I say go for the KG

+1 BIG TIME!

We went Ti with my sons KG5.5s and the upgrade was more than worth the low $ spent, MUCH better sound..... even with the old networks and caps!

I installed the new crossover boards and TI diaphragms(Bob Crites), in my KG 5.5's two days ago and gotta say, wow! The highs are more detailed and clear, the speakers sound better across the entire frequency range and the sound is more balanced, giving me a perfectly centered soundstage. Before the upgrade my left channel always seemed a little more dominant, possibly some component or soldering issues. The new x-overs haven't even broke in yet and I'm already impressed with the difference in the sound quality.

I owned a pair of RF-3 II's for a couple of years, and they are great speakers, but have a smaller soundstage footprint and must be placed with care to allow the rear-port to be fully appreciated. They have the same rated sensitivity(98db) as the 5.5's but the low end isn't as strong(37hz vs 34hz for the 5.5's) The 5.5's with the upgrades are definetely better speakers...even without the upgrades they are stronger bass speakers(10" woofers vs 8") and easy to place because of the front porting. The RF-3's do have the cero-metallic woofers and a TI dome tweeter, and are excellent rears or mains for HT duty. I am running a dedicated two-channel setup with a 40wpc integrated tube amp...lovely![:)]

• 7 months later...