A very scary situtation

dtel

• Moderators

23 years ago you were in a car accident and you were misdiagnosed as being in a coma. And during this 23 years you could not move at all, not even blink or give any sign, but the whole time your brain was working perfectly !

" For 23 years Rom Houben was ­imprisoned in his own body. He saw his doctors and nurses as they visited him during their daily rounds; he listened to the conversations of his carers; he heard his mother deliver the news to him that his father had died. But he could do nothing. He was unable to communicate with his doctors or family. He could not move his head or weep, he could only listen."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/23/man-trapped-coma-23-years

I Have no Mouth, and I Must Scream!

At least in this case, he has a computer that helps him communicate unlike the Harlen Ellison short story, where it was a super computer tormenting the five surviving humans.

Still, imagine - 23 years and could do nothing but lay there and listen t the going ons. I hope that we can better diagnose if somebody is truly in a coma vs somebody that is just merely paralized.

• Moderators

I bet that will be an interesting book once he gets it written.

I would think it would be somewhat strange.

Could you imagine some of the things you would think of over that long of a time period with no way to communicate or anything, except thinking. I would think the only thing that kept him from going crazy was listening to everything around him, I would guess his hearing is very good now.

Yet one more reason I would just want to have the plug pulled.

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer watches the first few minutes of a movie, where this woman is in a coma, then picks Elaine to pull the plug if he's ever in that condition. A funny scene where they are in the lawyer's office going over various scenarios and deciding if she should pull the plug or not. with that in mind doc...if you had no neurological function, and were being kept alive only by machines; BUT, you could still participate in the Klipsch Forum--do we pull the plug?

• Moderators

Yet one more reason I would just want to have the plug pulled.

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer watches the first few minutes of a movie, where this woman is in a coma, then picks Elaine to pull the plug if he's ever in that condition. A funny scene where they are in the lawyer's office going over various scenarios and deciding if she should pull the plug or not. with that in mind doc...if you had no neurological function, and were being kept alive only by machines; BUT, you could still participate in the Klipsch Forum--do we pull the plug?

Doc does not want the plug pulled if he can still take measurements ! [8-|]

No way, I'm with Mike on this one. Press a pillow over my face as soon as possible. Honestly, who wants to live 23 years like that?

Also, I suspect any thoughts of this guy recovering physically are just fantasy.

"I would rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead!"