Replace ATN110E stylus or buy a new cart.?

kfoss99

Fellow turntable brothers and sisters,

I have a Yamaha YP-211 belt drive turntable with a S-type tonearm that needs its Audio-Technica ATN110E stylus replaced. It appears to be the U.K. version of the 120E, which seems to be getting good reviews on the Internets.

I can replace the stylus for $40 or buy a new cartridge (at twice the price, at least). I need something that is forgiving on surface noise and can help in reducing inner groove distortion. I will, at the same time, get the proper instruments to balance everything as best I can.

Should I replace this stylus? Or should I buy one of: Shure M97xe, Ortofon 2M Red, AT120E, or AT440MLA, all within my price range and well regarded?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving,

K Foss

The ATN110E is a nice budget cartridge. However, with a 0.4 x 0.7 mil stylus tip, its not getting terribly deep into the grooves. Riding closer to the surface of the grooves could be giving you some noise that a stylus with a more aggressive eliptical tip evade by riding deeper in the groove.

The cartridges you mention would be a bit of an improvement, with the exception of the AT440MLa, which offers the AT Microline stylus, and could be a signiicant improvement in groove noise reduction. Some have suggested that this is a "brighter" sounding cartridge, however, so let your ear be your guide. The Shure M97xe also offers a 0.2 x 0.7 mil eliptical stylus tip, tracks nice and quiet, and has a bit of a rolled off top end for a warmer, mellower sound.

I'd replace with a Shure M97xe, perhaps the most forgiving of surface noise of those mentioned and can be had on eBay for as little as $69.

I used a Shume M97..AH (not sure of the exact model) built into an adjustable headshell for a couple of years before getting a V15 type 5 mr. I think it was a very good sounding cartridge.

I don't think they make the model with built in headshell anymore which was very nice as you just had to plug it in and adjust things and not have to mess with bolting it onto a headshell. I still have it and hope to get a second tt going. The good news the available N97 replacement stylii will work with it. I don't think Shure makes replacements for the V15 type 5 mr anymore.

I'd replace with a Shure M97xe, perhaps the most forgiving of surface noise of those mentioned and can be had on eBay for as little as $69.

I used a Shume M97..AH (not sure of the exact model) built into an adjustable headshell for a couple of years before getting a V15 type 5 mr. I think it was a very good sounding cartridge.

I don't think they make the model with built in headshell anymore which was very nice as you just had to plug it in and adjust things and not have to mess with bolting it onto a headshell. I still have it and hope to get a second tt going. The good news the available N97 replacement stylii will work with it. I don't think Shure makes replacements for the V15 type 5 mr anymore.

I have that same cartridge. It is a the Shure M97HE-AH. M97HE OEM replacement styli will fit it, but they are getting, IMHO, way too expensive. The LP Gear replacement stylus is pretty good for $60. If you really wanted to get close to the performance of your V15, you could opt for the Jico SAS M95ED replacement stylus for your M97. Almost double the price of the LP Gear stylus, and you don't get the "stabilizer brush", but worth it I think.

I have a Denon DL160 with very low hours that I bought new a few years ago. It is a HOMC and works very well with an MM input. It is also very quiet on surface noise ad quite dynamic. I put maybe 100 hours or so and then started buying Shelter cartridges, so this one has sat.

I will make you a good deal if you are interested. It is substantially better than anything that you mentioned getting. I had the AT440 MLX before this one and the Denon was a big step up soundwise.

Drop me an email if interested. I have been geting rid of a bunch of extra gear, so lets discuss.