Sony XDR-F1HD tuner

jhoak

If any of you are you like me and appreciate FM radio as a "background noise" music source you should check out one of these tuners. Hands down the best 80 bux you'll spend on a tuner. Very sensitive, GREAT selectivity when you have stations that blead over and surprisingly good sound quality. It absolutely smokes my old NAD tuner.

Get one!

Have it Modified by Mike at www.radioxtuners.com and you'll be smiling even more.

Mike clearly addresses the short-comings of the unit, but right out of the box it's an amazing little device. It's a shame Sony hasn't done a better job with its packaging, but I suppose the market isn't there.

Be warned if you get one: A) It runs hot. B) It stinks to high heaven for the first few hours (I finally believe in "burn in").

A very good discussion of it here.

Mike is a very, very good friend of mine. He performs all my FM alignments on tube tuners... A real class act. I have one of his modified units here now. The big problem with tube tuner in my area is all decent stations are at least 70+ miles away... So tube tuner just can't deal with that. I was using the SANGEAN which works well but the fidelity leaves allot to be desired. Mike is going to see if he can modify that unit similar to the Sony. But they are not nearly as attractive from a monetary stand point since the unit costs about $200 to buy in stock form.

I have had this little SONY tuner for awhile now after reading about it on AK. You are right it is a bargain for around $80.00. I have read and heard excellent things about Mike's mods on AK although I haven't sprung for any of that. It gets pricey. This might sound funny but this little tuner also makes a nice digital clock for your system. I always find myself looking at the time display as cheap as it is.

• 4 weeks later...

A very good discussion of it here.

Thanks for the link, it was a good discussion. I may get one of these to fiddle around with.

summer, I think you might live in the DFW area. If so, are there any stations you particularly enjoy with this tuner? I've seen the local station guide and usually don't listen to those stations, but would give it a shot if the improvements are noticeable. I guess for the price it's worth a try.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

I got mine strickly for WRR (and KNON sometimes). KHYI and KNTU don't broadcast HD, nor does KERA. The new KXT ("Hipster 91.7") doesn't either, but their regular signal is so horribly compressed it's unlistenable (to me), and HD wouldn't solve that problem.

Some of the mainstream stations have interesting alternate channels (an all Las Vegas Lounge Music station is one example) that are fun.

P.M.

You must never listen to your wife...

What is this word "wife" you speak of? I do not know this word. Please explain? Wink

I'm right there with you Jhoak! Now "Dog" I understand, and she only barks if it is really important!! [&]

Can anyone speak about the HD Raidio "Sound Quality"?

Is is CD quality, like they advertise? Or is it just "Better" than FM?

I just may have to get one of these also, heck the price is right.

Thanks,

Dennie

At their best, a good analog FM signal fed to a top notch tuner beats this plastic thingie.

Trouble is, that's almost impossible to find nowadays. This little Sony and HD easily falls into the top 10% of FM tuners I've listened to... and that's normal FM. The HD is slightly compressed, but not really noticible, and sounds better than most regular FM broadcasts.

All INHO, of course, and YMMV.

P.M.

I can fry eggs on my Sony. All I need is a skillet. It's the best money I've spent on a source. I will consider the mods on the link. Especially the fans.

I've e-mailed back and forth with Mike and especially talked about the fans. He's not a big fan "fan". He says they're noisey and will eventually go out. He did the fan mod as a special request for an individual but he likes the taller feet option for cooling better.