Call me crazy....but... the KLF-30 wins!!

lascala1983

First off let me start by saying I'm sure I'll get yelled at, but I'm also sure someone has to agree with me. Here where my Klipsch journey began. My dad always loved Klipsch speakers so I grew up with them. He always wanted the big buck ones, but he started with the KG-4's. Those little speakers were pretty good, had great bass and I never new any different. But when I turned 18 and moved out I started looking for a set of powerful good sounding speakers. I didn't know much, I thought newer was better. First I tried a pair of Synergy speakers, and those went back to Best Buy 4 hours later. So I started looking around at the classics and found a pair of KG 5.5's for $400. Those in my opinion where okay, they sounded better than the synergy and RF's I tried, but no better than the KG-4s. I then sold them to my brother in law and when on a search for a pair of Forte I's. I found some (for $400) and they became my second favorite speakers ever, but I wanted more (which I still regret selling them). So I upgraded to a pair of Chorus I's (for $425), which in my opinion had less bottom end than the Forte. Having sold my Fortes' and chorus', I had to upgrade to something far better in my mind, the infamous La Scala. I found a really nice pair built in 1983 in great condition for $1200. I then bought new crossovers from Crites, AA and A model. They spent many years in my living room until recently we decided to move. Instead of moving the la scalas' into a smaller room I decided to sell them and during my conversation with the new owner, he told me to check out the KLF-30's. He said they were the sleepers of the Klipsch line and he had a pair(which he wouldn't sell). So by chance I found a nice pair of KLF-30's ($600) the next day on craigslist. I was hesitant but bought them without being able to turn them up and I was nervous. But when I got home and hooked them up, WOW, they sound the fullest of any speaker I've ever owned. They have amazing tight bass, and get as loud and clear as my old la scalas. After testing them for days now, they only seem to impress me more. They sound unbelievable at any volume. Here my final opinion on all the classic speakers I've owned with a 1 -10 chart rating with 10 being unbelievable- NOTE: My living room / kitchen is very large with 9 foot ceilings, and both carpet and tile, and only one true corner. Also I've tried them all with a new Harmon Kardon AVR 340 and all but the KLF's with a quality tube amp.

KG-5.5 -2 way speaker I give it an overall rating 2 out of 10. The highs and mids are okay (rating a 2 out of 10) for a 2 way speaker and the bass is below average(rating 2 out of 10) especially for it's size. The reason for a 2, they sound good at low volume but distort at mid to high volumes.

KG-4 - 2 way speaker I give it an overall rating 5 out of 10. The highs and mids are okay (rating a 4 out of 10) for a 2 way speaker and the bass is above average (rating a 8 out of 10). The reason for a 5, the bass takes this speaker to a new level of sound. They sound good at low volumes, and pretty good at mid volumes, and distort at high volumes.

Forte I - 3 way speaker I give it an overall rating of 8 out of 10. The highs and mids are great being a 3 way speaker (rating 8 out of 10) and the bass is above average (rating 8 out of 10). The reason for an 8, the 3 way ability, nice tight strong bass and high volume capabilites without distortion. They sound great at any volume and I rate them higher than the la scalas.

Chorus I - 3 way speaker I give it an overall rating of 7 out of 10. Again the highs and mids are great being a 3 way speaker (rating 8 out of 10), but the bass(rating 6 out of 10) isn't quite as good as the Forte I's. I don't know if it gets lost in the large box, but either way in my large living room they didn't produce nearly the same bass as the forte, KG4's or KLF's. That's the reason for the rating of 7 out 10. Otherwise they sound pretty good at any volume.

La Scala- 3 way fully horn loaded design, I give it an overall rating of 5 out 10. The highs and mids are amazingly clear with the long mid horn and great sounding tweeter (rating 10 out of 10). But the bass is non existent (rating 1 out of 10). You have to have a subwoofer to be happy. Also the la scalas excel at projecting the sound out (distance), you can stand 40 feet away and it sounds like you're right next to them. The reason for the 5 out of 10, lack of bass. Don't get me wrong, if you have a sub and plenty of room they're hard to beat, but without a sub they're like the best sounding PA system you'll ever hear. They sound great at low, mid and high volumes as long as you don't care about bass. Last, they sit a little low, which I feel affects the sound when standing.

KLF-30 - 3 way speaker, I give it an overall rating of 9.5 out of 10. The highs and mids are amazing at any volume (rating 9 out of 10) and the bass (rating 10 out of 10) is very strong and tight. Definetely no need for a sub-woofer here unless you're watching a movie in Dolby Digital. The speakers are very tall 45.25" which bring the sound very close to ear level. If you like clean non-distorting very loud music with bass that you feel in your chest (even in large rooms) these are the speakers for you. I truly believe these are the sleepers in the Klipsch line, the buyer of my la scalas was right.

So if you've owned any of these speakers and disagree with me, let me have it [;)] , but remember this is only my opinion and your opinion is yours.[:D]

I had the privilege of storing my best friend's KLF-30s at my house while he was going through a divorce. Let's just say I made sure nothing dry rotted. [;)]

I really loved those speakers. He was able to pick his up in 9/10 condition for $500 about 2 years ago. They are huge! I'm the only one who's allowed to move his audio equipment when he moves.

Glad you're happy with the 30's. No doubt they are an underrated speaker. The KLF-30's and RF-7's are excellent rock speakers.

I had the chance to hear Cornwalls and KLF-30's side-by-side and although the Corns had a nice wide sound in comparison.......they lacked the punch the 30's could deliver which IMO is neccessary for more aggressive types of music.

• 2 weeks later...

I have KLF-20's, but close enough to the 30's. I have to agree. I seriously feel I could blow a window out with the amount of punch the bass drum packs within these towers. The louder you play it...they better they sound. I am thinking about finding a pair of KLF-30s, and moving the KLF-20's to use as rear surrounds. I can't even imagine how good they will sound with a Crites crossover upgrade. I did the upgrade in the KLF C7 and it is insane how much better it sounds.

• 1 month later...

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

KLF series are decent, one of my starter sets years ago (among many others).

Chorus II's are best power loving/size loudspeaker in my opinion, once you get those 15's pumping i can easilly make either of my CD players skip through parts of a song and the horns sing with the best of em.

KG4's are my budget pick.

Forte 1&2 are owned by good friends both powered by run of the mill receivers, good Klipsch sound i like to enjoy

LaScala is what i find myself in front of most, get a decent subwoofer to fill in the lows or move up the Klipschladder.

Pair up the Chorus 2's with the LaScala's and it makes a great sounding setup getting the best of both worlds but your soundstage dissappears and ruins it.

Chorus II's are best power loving/size loudspeaker in my opinion, once you get those 15's pumping i can easilly make either of my CD players skip through parts of a song and the horns sing with the best of em.

And yet another joins the Chorus II fan club.[Y]

Great story of your journey, lascala1983, but you have not yet reached the 10 . . . but you still can.

Imagine the same woofers in your KLF-30 mounted in a folded horn with a fraction of the distortion you now have.

Then, imagine that great tractrix midrange horn about 4 times larger with better control and lower distortion.

Put them together and you have the Jubilee, the 10+ of 10 in loudspeakers.

I, too, loved my KLF-30's. The Jubilee will smoke 'em.

Find a pair and listen as soon as you are able . . . .

I've been meaning to listen to a pair of KLF-30's sometime - just never had the opportunity yet. Doesn't it use the same MF/HF as the Chorus II? I'd have a hard time beleiving two K-31's would outgun the K48, but I'd love to hear it for myself. Sounds like the KLF-30 might be voiced a bit more bass heavy than the Chorus II.

I never really thought of the Jub as a hornified KLF-30....but I guess that's more true than not. too funny.

I've been meaning to listen to a pair of KLF-30's sometime - just never had the opportunity yet. Doesn't it use the same MF/HF as the Chorus II?

Nope and not even close Doc. But do listen for yourself.

Ok, so I had to look it up:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/klf-30-specifications

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/chorus-ii-specifications

They both use the K79 tweeter, but the KLF-30 uses a K-52 driver on a 90x60 tractrix horn for the midrange. The Chorus II uses a K-61 on a 90x40 tractrix. Both have a 1.5" throat.

I've been meaning to listen to a pair of KLF-30's sometime - just never had the opportunity yet

Hey Mike,

I see your avatar says your in Streamwood now. I have a buddy that lives in Schaumburg and he's running KLF-30's and Heresy's. He'd be proud to give you an earful. If you're interested, let me know.