Looking for university N-3 crossover part values

fanplant

Fanplant,

I replied to your pm, but you haven't responded back.

Good job on that Classic !!! (soon to be a pair). I envy you cause I still have a single unit.

The schematic that Marvel posted has all the info you need to build an N-3 equivalent.

Here's more info though. It may be helpful, maybe not.

The brown cap is a dual-section 30/30 ufd for the woofer, the larger one is the 4.2ufd. The inductor on the left is the .28 mH, and the one on the right is a center-tapped woofer inductor, for a selectable woofer crossover, 350 or 700hz. The caps are jumpered at the terminal board for a parallel connection for 350 hz. I couldn't find my LCR meter, so I can't verify the values of the inductors.

post-14184-13819513840858_thumb.jpg

That drawing is a thing of beauty!! Thank you!!! You are the man!Thanks for doing your OHM work :)

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. My friend and I did a little cleaning up of the old non N3 crossovers. We where trying to figure out why the older C15W was louder than the newer on. We ran them straight / full range and the old woofer is twice as loud @ 50 Hz and the newer one is noticbly louder @ 125 Hz. It's amazing how different two woofers of the same sound so different. So it turns out the crossovers we have are working fine. We still want to build some new crossovers though.

Are the controls pots or L-pads? Or is that the same thing?

here is a pic taken with my phone. I'll get a better one tonight. The one on the left my dad and his friend built over 40 years ago and the one on the right was just built by me and my friend.

old and new university classic loudspeaker

• 11 years later...
On 11/26/2009 at 7:07 PM, fanplant said:

Hi

I'm looking for the parts used in the N-3 crossover. Ajsons made mention of having the info in another thread. I've sent him a PM but it would be great if anyone else has them.

Below is a pic of me with a classic my friend and I just built

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649325196-vintage-university-n3-acoustic-baton-3way-crossover-1970s/

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Hi Moray... what's up? This thread is 12 yrs old.

I'm still hoping to build a set of the Classics. Got sidetracked after I got the MWMs. 🙄

I didn't look at the date I just remembered seeing the crossover, that link has excellent photos of the factory xover. Classics with MWM's would be impressive. What mid/tweeter horns do you plan on using with the Classics? 

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

All up for grabs. Rethinking a lot of what I have and all the unfinished works in progress. My LS are going to my older son. As amazing as the MWMs are, I'm contemplating getting them to someone else.

listen to a pair of Tannoy Revolution Series XT6 with a pair of decent subs you will be very impressed but they need to be properly burned in Mine too about 6 weeks of daily play. I have both the XTMini and the XT6 I like the min better but if those don''t play as loud as you would like then the XT6 are your go to on a good stand. I use Skylan Stands light but losy help to produce excellent bass not possible with heavy steel stands. The stage and image are liken to an Anniversary ProAC Super Tablet but they play louder and go deeper than the Tablet.

I could be totally happy with my Heresy IIs. I'm still up for building a set of Classics, and my son and I are working out the logistics. They would fit easily and nicely in our fun room and we would still have lots of room.