Jubilee Audition in Chicagoland Area

fyrpwr

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Art:

I would be interested in buying the CD. Its definitely amongst the best I have heard. Just let us know which one it is so we don't buy the wrong one.

Kwing

It will be titled "Gloria" or possibly "John Rutter's Gloria". I haven't done the artwork or typesetting, etc yet.

You might just want to email them from their website and place your order now. I haven't received a total number of discs from them yet. They usually order a bunch from me for Chorale members, and then additional for resale.

AND THANK YOU for your kind words. I'm delighted that you and others enjoyed it and feel the way you do about it.

I tried a rather unorthodox microphone technique on this one ~ I've only done this once ~ outdoors, but never in a reverberent room much less a one shot live-in-concert.

Interesting that you should mention the LF modal
response because that was my impression too. The bass response seemed
rather flat considering the squarish room proportions and low ceiling.

Here's a waterfall for those interested:
jub_waterfall.jpg

In
retrospect, I could probably pull down that ~89Hz peak a bit. That's
actually inherent to the LF behavior and bringing it down would also
bring down the waterfall at that point too. I'm not sure if the long
tail at ~31Hz is related to the Fs of the drivers, or a room mode, or
perhaps even the Fc of the horn. I'd want to do a measurement outdoors
to know where to start looking.

While I'm at it, here's a frequency response taken at ~1m:
jub_final.jpg

This
is 6dB per division. The dips from ~250Hz to 300Hz are related to how
the measurement was taken and shift around with mic position. They go
away with proper gating, but then you don't get the low frequency
resolution and the intent here is to show the behavior of the full
spectrum. This also has zero smoothing.

A lot of the jaggedness
above 10kHz is related to my measurement microphone, but you do have
the cone breakup to deal with at around 16kHz or so. That was probably
the hardest thing to dial in because I don't trust my rig above 10kHz...

When you play this back your systems, the peak levels
should be around 105dB+ as this was the peak levels at my listening
position in the first row of the church.

What were your SPL meter settings when you measured 105dB? A-/C- weighted? Fast / slow / peak hold?

Mike, I used C weighting. The peak levels at the end of the Finale are somewhat "sustained", so I was getting similar readings from both fast and slow settings, 105-108dB. I was using my old Radio Shack SPL meter, the analog display type. Not something I would use to analyze or tune a room, but for checking general sound levels it's ok. The down side is it doesn't have a peak hold function.

I thought that it was gonna be a bunch of old people listening to opera

Could have been worse... might have been a bunch of young whippersnappers listening to rap... [:|]

These old farts aren't so bad. I've met a couple of them and for a bunch of old fogies, I vote with the 'they're ok, in spite of their cranky ways' vote.

[;)]

The Classical music did not bother me since dad woke me up every weekend morning blaring the stuff from his Altec Valencia's.

I brought 4 CD's with but there were many wanting to hear what they had with them, first came Buckwheat Zydeco's new one, When the levee breaks & The wrong side, track 4 is my favorite but many were waiting for the CD player. Second i threw on Alice in chains- Over now (unplugged version). Some of everything was played for all to enjoy, the afternoon and evening was very enjoyable.

After seeing the size of the Jubilee's i can say you need a room built around the system, these are big honkers. WAF=0

After hearing the Jubilee's of course makes me want some, that horn was the sweetest thing i ever heard, lows were solid and detailed, overall very pleasing and worth looking into for those with room and finances.

Will that horn/driver combo work with the LaScala woofer section ?

As Dtel said, it would work (looking for a picture of one). Realize that the K402 is actually bigger than the entire LaScala when you measure them on a height/width format and rotate the LaScala sideways!

Didn't Steve also have the smaller K510 playing on his Belle? I've got an extra LaScala shell with no drivers. I'm going to cut out a larger hole where the K400 would go and insert a K510 inside the top of the LaScala. It won't sound as good as the larger horn in an absolute sense but it will still sound killer and it will fit as a center channel much better than a standard LaScala.

post-15072-13819526284686_thumb.jpg

Here's what a K510 is sized like. I have a black LaScala that I'm going to cut a larger hole so I can mount the 510 inside the top section and set my 50" screen on top.

As Docwho said, this horn sounds surprisingly similar to the K402 especially if you are on axis. I'll be using mine for a center channel flanked by 402's so I don't see any issues. It really is the little horn that can!

post-15072-13819526318612_thumb.jpg