Heresy III Upgrade Kit

cfelliot

Can anyone give me any information on the Heresy III upgrade kit?

I just bought a Heresy I on E-Bay to use as my center channel with my Heresy IIIs.

It sounds pretty good now, but I'd love to have it match the L/R.

I see this mentioned as a Heresy II upgrade. Can I do a Heresy I?

Who do you contact to buy this?

Thanks,

Chuck

Marvel's correct: the only way to do it would be to knock out the motor board, replace it with another board with the H-II/III driver holes cut correctly; router out the bracing on the top and bottom to accomodate the H-II/III tweeter horn and woofer frame interference; and replace the rear panel with a new one with the H-III crossover cup cutout.

The easy way? Find a "crappy" el cheapo H-II cabinet. Refinish it and order the H-III kit. They are ~$290 each from Klipsch Parts.

Building a whole new cabinet is ok by me!

My main concern is what's needed to qualify buying the upgrade.

That and I also read that the mid-range horn is not part of kit and the H1's horn is different from the H2. That may be the real show stopper.

As it stands, I may just rebuild the crossover in the H1 and perhaps replace the tweeter!

Replacing my JBL center with the H1 is pretty outstanding as it is.

I just listened to the R&R Hall of Fame 25th show again with the H1 - awesome!

You will need a very accurate table saw and a good router.

No "requirement" per se, however, Klipsch may ask for a serial number from your H-II's. Since you do not have one.... building a new cabinet, and installing the H-III drivers, in substance, may likely be a copyright/trademark violation.

That and I also read that the mid-range horn is not part of kit .

That is problematic. Some kits have been ordered and came with the horn, others not. Klipsch presumes that you have the K-53/701 horn from a H-II to start with. The plastic K-701 horn may however still be available. If I recall they are about $12 each.

and the H1's horn is different from the H2. That may be the real show stopper

Correct; they are not interchangeable. Here's the problem you must solve. Does your H-I have a plastic midrange horn (K-53/701 assembly). The Heresy-I's produced at the later stages of 1983 and through the final productions in 1984 used the K-53/701 midrange used by the H-II's. If you have the later model of the H-I, then you have a plastic horn required for an H-III upgrade. For additional information regarding what can be "swapped" and what cannot be swapped between the early and late model Heresy-I's, see: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/127196.aspx

As it stands, I may just rebuild the crossover in the H1 and perhaps replace the tweeter!

That may be the more cost effective solution in the short run. New caps on the crossovers, Crites CT-125 tweeters, and substitute the K-28 (Heresy-III) woofer for the old K-22/K-24's, and it will be fairly close to your H-III's in sound.

You will need a very accurate table saw and a good router.

No "requirement" per se, however, Klipsch may ask for a serial number from your H-II's. Since you do not have one.... building a new cabinet, and installing the H-III drivers, in substance, may likely be a copyright/trademark violation.

That and I also read that the mid-range horn is not part of kit .

That is problematic. Some kits have been ordered and came with the horn, others not. Klipsch presumes that you have the K-53/701 horn from a H-II to start with. The plastic K-701 horn may however still be available. If I recall they are about $12 each.

and the H1's horn is different from the H2. That may be the real show stopper

Correct; they are not interchangeable. Here's the problem you must solve. Does your H-I have a plastic midrange horn (K-53/701 assembly). The Heresy-I's produced at the later stages of 1983 and through the final productions in 1984 used the K-53/701 midrange used by the H-II's. If you have the later model of the H-I, then you have a plastic horn required for an H-III upgrade. For additional information regarding what can be "swapped" and what cannot be swapped between the early and late model Heresy-I's, see: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/127196.aspx

That may be the more cost effective solution in the short run. New caps on the crossovers, Crites CT-125 tweeters, and substitute the K-28 (Heresy-III) woofer for the old K-22/K-24's, and it will be fairly close to your H-III's in sound.

What about the Parts Express cabinets with extra internal bracing it would equal the proper internal volume and a router for the horns could work ? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=245-325&FTR=245-325&CFID=142715&CFTOKEN=48636313

I was never asked for my serial numbers when I orderd my kit(s). As a matter of fact, at one time I entertained the idea of building some tall thin Cornwalls with all new components. I said I wanted to update my current Corns (yes, I was less than truthful) and they gave me a list of all drivers, horns and crossover parts. I could have ordered them right then. I would think that in todays economy, they'd be happy making a sale regardless of circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

When I ordered a Heresy III kit a few months ago, I was asked for the serial number of the Heresy II cabinet it was to go into.

I wonder if they do that because some HII's have square connection plates and some have circular ones and to valaidate the upgrade to prevent home made cabinets from being passed as legitimate HIII's?

Only the square-connector H-2s (1986 on?) accept the new H-3 crossover without any woodworking, but I think Klipsch asks for the serial number to prevent counterfeit H3s from being built.

The H-3 kits are a great value at the price. It would be a pity if somebody tried to set up a fake Heresy III production line and caused the kits to become unavailable or too costly for the rest of us.