Klipsch Quintet and Yamaha Receiver Package

PhillyOneTime

I'm considering this package offered at Best Buy. It's a Klipsch Quintet and Yamaha receiver package.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+and+Yamaha+Home+Theater+Audio+Package+with+630W+7.1-Channel+Receiver/9999117200050002.p?id=pcmprd117300050002&skuId=9999117200050002&st=klipsch&lp=31&cp=1

Normally, I wouldn't purchase at Best Buy, but I'm using credit card rewards points to redeem gift cards and the only place they offer gift cards for electronics is Best Buy.

That said, I am curious to know any thoughts on this package from the community. I'm a relative novice to home theaters. I've really only had shelf systems. Currently, I have an old Kenwood receiver with Bose left and rights in the wall. Obviously, I'm looking to upgrade.

My space is fairly open layout. I'm in a condo. When looking at the TV (50" Samsung DLP), floor to ceiling windows line the left side, and the right side is my kitchen. No wall on the right. There's about 8 feet of floor space behind the couch to the wall that is fairly open space.

Again, any thoughts on the package and recommendations on the setup and layout of the system is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil

• Moderators

If your not trying to fill a big room there fine, they sound very clear and clean sounding, but they need the sub to help with the low frequencies. My son in law has the Quintet's and they sound very good considering there size, they sound bigger than they are is what I meant to say.

You will need a sub cable so figure where your going to place the sub to know the length you will need, try placing the sub in a corner if at all possible. Don't let them talk you into the over priced monster Cable [bs], just a normal sub cable. The same with speaker wire any #14 or #16 will work fine, no need to buy a name brand, you can also buy the wires somewhere else, that may be cheaper ?

I like Yamaha and that one will work fine for the Quintets, after setting up use the YPAO thingy that sets all the speakers, this should balance the sound between all the speakers.

Can you put the front L+R on each side of your TV or even spread out a little more if possible, if you have no other place put the center on top of the TV and point it down a little to aim at the couch. For the two rears you may have to use some type of stand a little behind and to the side of the couch, about head level if you can.

This is just general ideas for placement find what works best and is most convenient, BUT every time you move the speakers around use the receivers Mic/YPAO to re balance the volume levels.

Thanks for the input...I'll address your points/comments/suggestions:

Size of the room: It's a fairly open space. About a 1200 foot condo, and this will go in the main room, which is an open layout along with the kitchen.

I plan on getting the sub that comes with the package. It'll go on the floor to the left of everything. Close to the corner near the window. Not up against the window, though. About 2-3 feet away.

Thanks for your advice on the speaker wire. I would never get Monster on principal alone. As for the HDMI's my first HDMI cable is a Belkin. I'll probably stick with those. I looked on Amazon and they're pretty reasonable. Need maybe 6 feet.

YPAO thingy? Please explain to this novice! :) I know the receiver will calibrate the speakers. Is this what you're referring to?

As far as placement of the speakers, I think I may just leave the Bose in the wall and just not use them. (Decided not to mess with patching the wall, etc.) I'll probably get stands for the Klipsch left and rights and place them as far as I can away from each other. The TV is in a built-in resting on a marble slab, so I'll just put the center on there in front of the TV.

The rears will also go on stands at the far end of the room. The calibration will recognize that they're back there, correct?

Another question...What is the difference between the Quintet package and the HD 300 package that they're advertising on the website?

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/hd-theater-300-overview/

If they're comparable, or if the 300 package is better, perhaps I'll have some pricing leverage.

Thanks again!!

• Moderators

I don't know if the HD 300 is better or worse ? But I know the quintets because my son in law has them. The YPAO thingy I was talking about is the auto calibration in the receiver and it should know the back speakers are there and that auto thing should come with the receiver. I said YPAO thingy because I have not had any experience with one, my receiver RXV 730 was just before that came as a standard with receivers. I just use a Radio Shack DB meter from my listening position to balance all the volumes with the built in test tones.

One thing, do what you said with the sub but also move it around in that corner area, sometimes just a few inches makes a big difference, it's worth playing with.

It sounds like you got it all covered..[Y].....or you could just come back and ask more questions, start a new thread if no one See's it on this one. Good luck and have fun.