OT: Tim Tebow not NFL quarterback material?

Daddy Dee

I've heard a number of sports radio authority types say Tebow is not a good candidate to be an NFL quarterback.

Sorry that I have to plead ignorance on many counts, haven't really been a follower of Tebow or sports authorities.

What I'm trying to imagine is how a Heisman trophy winner and twice again Heisman finalist is NOT NFL material.

Is that just BS or is there something to the argument. Does TT know he's not NFL material?

I like tebow; but, i do have serious concerns about his ability to succeed in the NFL. It's a huge leap from college to pros and he isn't going to run nearly as many touchdowns as he did in college. i don't buy the "he's a system quarterback" argument; because there are many successful "system" quarterback in the NFL. The Heisman is definitely not an indicator of success either--two words can answer that Gino Torretta. I haven't checked this out; but, i'd guess that there's been more heisman busts than those going on to be stars. can tebow change his style and adapt to the NFL--remains to be seen. oh yeah, i think they got it wrong this year too--Toby Gerhart should have won. read an article yesterday about the finalists. the article was mostly about tebow and mccoy, it only had three lines about gerhart. those three lines were: "Toby Gerhart had more rushing yards and more touchdowns than any player in the nation."

Tebow has a great will to win. He won alot of games in the toughest conference in the US. He should get a chance in the NFL and I hope he does well.

Toby Gearhart had a great year with alot of yards and touchdowns. Problem was poor exposure. Too bad he didn't play in the SEC against tougher competition. Look at Stanfords record vs Alabama's undefeated season this year, home of your Heisman winner.

The opinions of the pundits are no indication of future NFL worthiness. There are plenty of QBs that came from small schools or were 'too short', etc., that went on to play well in the NFL. I want Tebow to make it big in the NFL so that the public will worship him like Tiger, Michael Phelps, Alex Rodriguez, etc. Then when Tebow gets caught blowing a doob at the bunny ranch, the media will have enough fodder to keep it going for a couple of months.[6]

• Like 1

I have always looked at Tim Tebow as a big Steve Young. Great athleticism, strong, leader, good legs, better than average arm and an incredible work ethic. If he could be so lucky as to have an apprenticeship under a quarterback like Joe Montana for a couple of years, he should succeed.

Bill

Sorry for maybe not reading the above posts...as I die hard gator fan for the last....errrr....15 years or so...Tebow is a big NFL question mark...you want him on your team...no doubt about that...however as an NFL quarterback, he brings up a lot of questions. He has only taken about a dozen snaps under center in his time at florida...Urban Meyer has played him to his best potential at florida...instead of training him to be an NFL quarterback...we have seen mobile quarterbacks have success...no quarterbacks run up the middle 50% of the plays though. It is funny how good Florida players are in college, but fail in the NFL...not saying tebow will...I would love to have him anywhere on the bears roster...look at Danny Wuerffel...maybe one of the best Spurrier era run and gun quarterbacks.

Even Chris Leak...picked up by the Bears as the first non-drafted player after winning a BCS title...people are gun-shy about Florida QBs. Tebow is different...I sure hope he makes it somewhere...although not to happy about him in the last few years, look at Urlacher...saftey out of New Mexico...for years was the posterboy of NFL linebacker power. Tebow is a player...he has a good head and a good heart...I sure hope someone picks him up for somewhere...you want him on your team.

I like the post by ace.

Dee: Tebow has a good head And is mobile but his arm isn't strong like you have seen from Mallett this year. Tebow is more like Matt Jones who never got a shot at QB. If Tebow doesn't then maybe tightend?

Interesting enough, I've been thinking Matt Jones might offer some comparison.

What I'm trying to imagine is how a Heisman trophy winner and twice again Heisman finalist is NOT NFL material.

I don't know if he is or isn't... but... your comment took me back to Archie Griffin. Is he still the only person to win the Heisman twice? Though he did go on to the NFL, I seem to recall his NFL career was rather mundane. (then again, he did spend it with the Bengals.... )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Griffin

I don't recall his pro career ever reflecting the level of success he had while in college

I want the bears to trade Cutler for a draft pick that will get Tebow now...I don't care if he will not be a Pro-Bowl caliber quarterback...he will not throw this many picks...even Grossman did not throw that many...running up the middle for no gain is better than turning the ball over every other down.

• 2 months later...