Promedia 5.1 Ultra out of support, buying a new plate amp to power the subwoofer. Need advice.

nashbridges

Hey all,

Like some people on this board, I have a set of Promedia 5.1 Ultras that I love to death. However, I don't love the repairs. My amp has already died once, and I repiared it through Klipsch back in 2005 (I think). The amp/subwoofer unit failed again.

I bought a new surround receiver mainly because I wanted to use the satellite speakers for the TV in my office as well as for my computer, and that's all good. However, I have a perfectly good dual drive subwoofer sitting here in a great case. What to do?

I considered repairing the amp unit in the subwoofer, but even working properly I'd still get back something designed specifically for analog computer miniplugs and I would have to get something to convert the output from my receiver to the input on the subwoofer amp or the control pod. The control pod was my breaking point, because input is either going through that or the sub, but it still has to be connected in order to use the sub.

So for the cost of the "next" repair, I can pick up a subwoofer plate amp and do some work to fix it to my existing subwoofer box. I'm wondering if anyone here has opinions on these units:

BASH 300W Digital Subwoofer Plate Amp

Or:

Daytona SA240 240 W Subwoofer Plate Amp

I can use either one to drive the 8 inch woofers in the Promedia subwoofer box, and I get the added bonus of using the amp again if I ever want to build my own subwoofer later. Most importantly, it lets me turn my currently useless subwoofer unit into something I can plug into any home theater system.

I'm new to all of this, since while the Promedia was working I just ran all sound through my computer, so I could be making a massive mistake. Anyone have some opinions on what I'm trying to do? I'm already running the satellites through the new receiver - I just want to use the existing sub for a little longer.

• 6 years later...