Need Help on Buying MacBook

Cody_Mack

For daughter for XMAS. The daughter that is 23 and has moved out and is not necessarily on the list for mega-dollar gifts; but I am losing that battle with the wife, so here I go.

Never owned or even once used a Mac, so I need some advice. Please, no flame wars about how Mac is so much better than that other platform. Just tell me what I need to get, somewhere close to the budget. Personnally I think $1K is too much but I know I won't even be close with that much.

She told her Mom she wanted a MacBook Pro with a 15" screen. That is all I know about it. Will the minimum 15" model provide her with everything she needs? Honestly I would say all she'll use it for is connection to iPhone, maybe some picture management and browsing the Web, word processing, spreadsheet, etc? Is all this software included?

Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy?

Rick

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick,

I don't think you are going to get a 15 inch MacBook Pro for anywhere close to the $1000.00. A plain MacBook with 13.3 inch screen you can get for under $1000.00, but not one of the Pro models.

Here are likely the best prices you will find. Just bought my wife one of the MacBooks from them for Christmas.

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/PM/Brands/Apple/AppleSuperSale.aspx

Bob

I am typing this reply on a 15" macbook pro.

Your daughter will get everything she needs to do what you want.

The word, spreadsheet, etc can be had using NeoOffice. It's a free downloadable software that I use when I am using my Mac at the house and I am getting reports, etc. from work.

I would also look at getting Apple Care. It's an extended warranty and it is a carp shoot if you need it. I used it a couple times for my mom's emac, but never needed it for my imac.

When I gave my Mom my imac and bought the macbook I bought the apple care for the macbook, since this is my first (and probably last) laptop.

You guys are great for thinking of getting her a new computer for the holidays.

Danny

If you/wife/daughter, is faculty/staff or student, you can get about $100 off the regular cost. rices are pretty consistent, regardless of where you buy.

A 15 inch MacBook Pro is still $1600. As much as I like Apple gear and the OS, I would get a new Windows 7 laptop, and save $800. That's not a flame, just economic sense.They are all pieces of hardware, and they all break.

She told her Mom she wanted a MacBook Pro with a 15" screen. That is all I know about it. Will the minimum 15" model provide her with everything she needs? Honestly I would say all she'll use it for is connection to iPhone, maybe some picture management and browsing the Web, word processing, spreadsheet, etc? Is all this software included?

Rick

A Macbook Pro will be way more than enough to do that. Nearly all the software is included, except for word processing and spreadsheet. However, as was already mentioned, you can get Neo Office for free, which is a Mac OS X enhanced version of the standard Open Office (interesting that I did not know about this myself - will need to grab it for my own Macbook Pro).

However, that is a pretty expensive piece of gear for what she is planning on doing. As was also mentioned, unless you can find a used one, be prepared to spend at least $1,600 for the lowest end of the 15-inch models. To get a Mac laptop for around a $1,000, you will have to get the 13 inch Macbook. Now, the Mac OS X environment is indeed really nice (and being a long time Windows user, I found myself really enjoying using my Mac).

Personally, I also use my 15-inch Macbook Pro for software development purposes as well as running virtual machines for testing purposes at work (I've gotten both Windows and Linux to work in virtual environments on this thing - really cool).

Unless she is really lusting for a Mac, don't completely rule out some of these newer Windows 7 laptops either.

You can also add iWork for about $70 ish. I too am a Mac convert from decades in the PC world. The one thing you can count on is when she takes it out of the box it will work and you won't have to bolt on a gazillion performance killing software packages to keep it safe. As mentioned for a grand you are lookig a 13.3 inch Macbook not a Macbook Pro. A Macbook is a very nice laptop that would run you about $1200'ish

Thanks all for the replies. I checked the education discount and also the refurbished models at the Apple Store. All are near $100 more than the cheapest price at Mac Connection. Just gonna have to bite the bullet; if I give in, that is. Had it in the shopping cart at Mac Connection earlier tonight and couldn't pull the trigger. Like many of you said, this is probably way more computer than she needs.

Rick

I've been doing IT work for many years now and no longer recommend windows for anything short of a business environment or unless there is a win only app you must have. The macs tend to last longer like toyotas. The fact that they don't get virus's or adware installed should not be overlooked as this is a big deal. Great machines.

Good luck!

A laptop will likely get more use and abuse than any deskop would ever hope to endure. For the price my nephew paid for his Mac laptop, I figure I could buy a total of 8 ( yes eight ) of the same laptop I use. ( Compaq ) $ 3500 CDN vs $ 499 CDN.

Unless you truly need a Mac, forget it and by a PC, that's my 2 cents. I have used PC's for years and only once had a virus. ( G/F's brother decided to use our computer )

If that is all she is using the Mac for, then the MacBook 13" will do just fine at $999. There is no discount for Apple hardware. I have a Macintosh Plus (still have it), Mac Mini, White MacBook 13" and a Unibody MacBook Pro 15". I am running Window XP and CentOS (Linux) 5.3 on my MacBook Pro. I do not use Mac hardware for programming. That is accomplished by my Dell Precision M6400 running Windows 7.

For daughter for XMAS. The daughter that is 23 and has moved out and is not necessarily on the list for mega-dollar gifts; but I am losing that battle with the wife, so here I go.

Never owned or even once used a Mac, so I need some advice. Please, no flame wars about how Mac is so much better than that other platform. Just tell me what I need to get, somewhere close to the budget. Personnally I think $1K is too much but I know I won't even be close with that much.

Rick

I've been doing IT work for many years now and no longer recommend windows for anything short of a business environment or unless there is a win only app you must have. The macs tend to last longer like toyotas. The fact that they don't get virus's or adware installed should not be overlooked as this is a big deal. Great machines.

Same here. Actually, a lot of our IT team now have MAC's for personal use, and well, we are a Windows shop. I bought a 15" MacBook Pro in Aug, and love it. Worth the money.

It's like comparing a Kia to a BMW. You pay for what you get. It will just work, and well, it will definately last longer then the PC.

Just some friendly advice. If
she wants a MAC get her a MAC or no computer at all. If her mind is set
on that, a PC will not make her happy. I have seen this many times with
friends that have had their kids want ipods and the parents buy them
Zunes,Sansa etc...

Very true too.

It will just work, and well, it will definately last longer then the PC.

Do you have the statistics to back that up? We have had Macs come in DOA, had them require hardware replacements within the first six months, yadayada... Percentage wise, a much higher failure rate than the Dells, and IBMs. At the moment, I'm using my Windows 2000 box here at home. I haven't had to reformat in the 9 years I've had it. It runs 12 hours a day. I had to replace a power supply in it.

Just some friendly advice. If
she wants a MAC get her a MAC or no computer at all. If her mind is set
on that, a PC will not make her happy. I have seen this many times with
friends that have had their kids want ipods and the parents buy them
Zunes,Sansa etc...

Maybe she just needs to be educated... [;)]

Really, I love the Macs, but economically, I can't get one. All my Adobe apps will run just as well on Windows as on OS X.